O/T New Daily Driver/Tow Rig - Gas or Diesel? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

O/T New Daily Driver/Tow Rig - Gas or Diesel?

I'm in the market for a new truck and am considering either a 1/2 ton gasoline-powered crewcab pick-up or a 3/4 ton turbo-diesel crewcab. Haven't yet decided btw Ford/Dodge/Chevy/GMC but they all seem like good trucks nowadays.

Basically a gasoline-powered 1/2 ton truck does everything I need it to. All I ever tow are Samurais, and twice a year four sleds on a trailer when we go on snowmobile trips.

The big question is how much more fuel efficient are the new turbo-diesels as compared to gas? I'm finding it difficult to get this information. For some reason they don't rate fuel mileage on the diesel truck's window stickers, so how do you compare? On a day-to-day basis will the diesel be that much better on fuel to warrant the extra purchase price?

Another factor is longevity. It's proven that a diesel will last longer, but do they cost more to maintain?

I know some of you here have first-hand knowledge. What are your opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 02:24 PM

Re: O/T New Daily Driver/Tow Rig - Gas or Diesel?

We just got a used diesel 99 F 350 crew cab dually and it is making 17.5 unloaded . We will see what it makes loaded on the way to Utah . Parts are more expensive , but the repair / maintenance intervals are farther apart . Also diesel fuel is usually a little less expensive .
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 02:33 PM

I have a 99 Ford F250 crew cab 6 speed 2wd diesel that I have a Banks Power Pack installed on. It put 312 HP and 670 ft lbs of torque to the ground and will still get 23 mpg on a trip in a 7000 pound truck. This is the first diesel that I have ever owned and I can tell you, I will never have another gas powered truck. There's just no way to have this much power in a gas truck and still get better milage than a Toyota Tacamo with a gas v6, which is what I used to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Thats a tough decision I had my heart set on a F350 Ford PS deisel.. the older 7.4 liters are a good motor and have a decent fuel economy. The newer trucks wont give you estimated fuel because they are considered work trucks. I coulndt spend that kind of cash on a new rig with nothing factual to back it up and the people I talked to had to many verying mileage reports so i settled on a 2001 Yukon Xl with the 6.0 liter vortec. I get around 427miles to a tank towing tank is 32 gal. not the best but I it suited the bill a little better and it is fully loaded.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey man, a buddy of mine borrowed a lifted 1/2 ton late model mopar last back in january n used it to come visit me, we figured the milage, it was pretty close to 20mpg best i can remember. think it was a 96, ill call him this weekend n find out for sure. if you remember my ol 91 cummins dodge, it is a 3speed, NO OD in it, NON intercooled turbo diesel, IF i set my cruise at 60 or in that neighboorhood, i get 20+ mpg outta it, even loaded. plus i run farm diesel in it all the time with no problems. the call is yours man, if I were buyin me another one, id get me a 96 or 97 cummins dually but i tow all the time. i had a 94 turbo crew cab ford, not a powerstroke ford, the one just before it with turbo. was not satisfied with performance at all. jsut my .o2......
BiLLy bOb
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 09:17 PM
Addict

If you are short tripping get the gas, if for longer trips then the diesel. I had and still have dodge diesels. But I pull a 33 ft fifth wheel camper and a 25 ft flat trailer with mine. The zuks are my daily driver here. The diesel takes a lost longer to heat up in the colder weather. All I can tell you is that for what I do with mine a gas burner would also do it, but with a whole lots more gas than I use fuel.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 11:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Dad has brand spankin new f250 ext. cab. Its got the 6.0 diesel and it is awesome. Torque is unbelievable. Hes got the automatic and still gets 17-18 in town. Took me 6 months to talk him into a diesel and now that he has one he swears he will never own another gas motor.

Do those dodges still have the tailgate warmers standard or is that an option now. If it is an option id get it, pushin a truck in the winter might be a bit cold.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 09:50 AM

I drive a 2000 Ford F-250 Crew Cab with the V-10. It gets 11.9 mpg in town and 13 on the highway pulling a camper. A bud at work that leases turned in the Dodge diesel that he thought he loved for a Ford F250 diesel. He's getting 17 mpg pulling a ski boat everywhere and loves his truck far better than the Dodge he turned in.

Gas works good for me. The mpg difference gets used up pretty quickly in the higher purchase price and oil change costs. Longevity should be identical for most of us if we just take care of our stuff.

And besides, sitting in your Sammi at a traffic light with the top off, which would you rather be sitting next too?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 09:52 AM

I am not the best source for info regarding this but I will put my two cents in anyway.

I spent my career in the fire service driving trucks under very hard conditions. The diesels out performed the gas vehicles every time and got far better fuel economy. If you are going to keep this vehicle for a long time the initial additional cost of the diesel will be offset in savings in maintenance, durablility and fuel economy.

I recommend you look at the GM Duramax diesel with the Alison transmission. The Duramax has been around for a while and is built to Japanese specifications. Just listen to the Duramax vs. the Powerstroke vs. the Cummins.

I seems that everyone that works in my office has a bigass diesel pickup except for me. All the big three brands are represented. Side by side comparisons the Duramax wins for convienence and creature comfort.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Veteran

Ray, good question. My personal opinion bout this is get the diesel, the fuel is usually cheaper by bout 5-10 cents a litre. you get better millage from them and the don't use much fuel if you let them idle. yes parts can be more expensive but if you maintain them the can last for mare then 500,000 k's. my tow truck had over 500,000 on it and that was some serious duty.
My next truck that i buy will be a diesel, they are easy to hop up and they usually get better millage with the power adders.

Sean,EH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode