Carb. Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Carb. Question

I was reading through some of the off topics that have been posted in the past while searching for engine mods. and I ran across a post that was talking about carbs. and a guy mentioned that if your tail pipe is sooty, this is a sign of carb problems and that it needs work. My tail pipe is sooty but my carb seems to be working fine. My plugs look good and I have no flooding or stalling. I do have a problem with cold starts. I have to pump the pedal several times before it will fire up but then after it is warm, it fires right up every time. What would be causing this ? Also, how would I know if my secondary is opening ? I took the air box off yesterday, started the engine and let it warm up and then while looking down into the carb, I revved the engine to full throtle but I did not see the secondary move. Should it have opened under these circumstances ? Before starting the engine, I worked the throtle back and forth to see if I was getting a full stream of gas shooting down into the carb and it looked good. I get decent fuel mailage also and I able able to run up to 80 mph on the highway on flat ground and maintain around 65 going up moderate hills. The engine is stock as far as I know. Do I need to have carb work done ? This is on my 86 Sami with stock engine and running 235/70/15 tires.

Oh, I noticed that there is a vacumm tube connected to the bottom of the air box that attaches to the top of the carb. This hose is just hanging down and not connected to anything. Should it be connected to something ? I didn't see any place that it could be connected to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 09:00 AM

Re: Carb. Question

Sounds like you carb is functioning very well. Although on both of my Samurais I very had to touch the gas pedal for cold starts. As far as your loose vacuum line, check the sticker under the hood for the correct connection. My guess is it should be connected to the manifold directly under the passenger side of the carb. If you have the original hoses, change them all for new ones. Also do a search for more information about bypassing the vaccum restrictor to allow your secondaries to open up faster. However, this may effect your fuel mileage somewhat. If you are having any hesitation at about 50 mph, there is a cheap fix for that too. A search on this BBS should answer all your questions.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 11:52 AM

Hey, a couple of carb things I've picked up from others... these are all pretty surface, but handy nonetheless.

1. Check the coolant lines into the carb... run it 'till its at normal temp, and then feel the lines leading into the carb body... if they're hot, you're ok. If they're cold, you've got a clogged line - pull off the cold section and clean it out. IIRC - something to do with the choke. I didn't do this one myself, so I can't give you any more detail - but maybe someone else can chime in. Apparently its a common clog.

2. Hose that sucker down with aerosol carb cleaner on the outside. Free's up gunky connections.

3. Pour down a bottle of liquid carb cleaner on the inside. Especially if the throat is all varnish-y. Might take two cans. Don't know if you've done this before or not, but its pretty dramatic when the clouds of white smoke pour out and it chugs to a halt and stalls.

4. That vacuum line should be connected. From your description, it sounds like the same thing that was loose on mine. I didn't do the reconnection, so I can't tell you what it plugs to, but it should be pretty obvious if you have a good look under there.

Anyway, my Sammi fires up *instantly* with no chugging or hesitation when cold. Never stalls, nothing. Its perfect. Props to Brent in Tyndall Manitoba for his great work fixing up the carb (these are his tricks) and getting it running so well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Pouring carb cleaner directly in the carb is not a good idea. This can cause the cylinder walls to be washed clean of oil and cause serious damage to the walls as well as your rings.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 03:16 PM

Ditto on pouring carb cleaner stright into the carb. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] Gumout added to the gas would be a better solution. As to where the vacuum line goes, it plugs into the intake manifold right next to a larger 3/8" hose. Lastly about the carbon on the tailpipe. I have yet to see a carbed Zuke with a stock 1.3L that didn't have it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That hose coming off the bottom of the air cleaner plugs into a port next to the pcv valve . Also, make sure that valve is clean and works , it may be the cause of the soot in the tailpipe .
Sarge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

I found out why I couln't find a vacumm port that was missing a hose to connect to. A previous owner had moved around the hoses and got the hose that supposed to be going to the Idle-Up connected up to the intake port that was supposed to go to the HIC . The hose that they had wrongly put on the Idle-Up was coming from just under the carb. I have not been able to figure out where it should go though. The diagram under the hood does not show this vacumm port. If your standing in front of the truck and lean over to look directly down onto the carb, on the right side just under the carb coming out of the side of the intake there is a port that for now I have blocked off. I can't find where it could go. Anyone have an idea of where this should go ?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Addict

Apollo, maybe soon we run up on each other around carrollton and I look at it. I had the carbs off and apart so many time it not getting funny anymore.
Steve
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

What does your truck look like ? Mine is Silver with a black top and white rims. It will have stripes down the sides but not the factory stripes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode