Flat towing and a Tow Bar on Ebay - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Flat towing and a Tow Bar on Ebay

Hi guys, new to the action here... I was wondering how well the Samurai vehicles flat tow, I have been out of the 4wd scene for a while and bought me a Sammy to hunt with. I would like to pull it either on a trailer or flat tow it with a tow bar (I used to do that with my Jeep and it worked nicely) I saw a Tow Bar on ebay that looked cheap enough ($125 new) and thought I might buy it and try it. I would love to get some input on this

Thanks

Matthew in SC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 07:26 PM

Re: Flat towing and a Tow Bar on Ebay

I'll make you 2 or 3 for that price. <----not being smart buddy just honest. Do a search for something like [towbar] or [flat towing] I know I have seen something in here about home nade tow bars. HTH

David
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 08:49 PM

zuks are odd to flat tow . I have read on this board before that you are supposed to leave them in 3rd gear and stop once every 100 miles to start it and let it run . Personally I would just pull both driveshafts if I was flat towing . Also if you decide to flat tow you need to tie a piece of rope to the steering wheel and the seat bracket to limit the throw of the wheel . You want the front wheels to turn some but not a lot as they will lock left or right after you make a hard tuen if you dont do the rope trick . And make nice sweeping turns . With all that said....I prefer a trailer myself ! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 06:00 PM

I flat tow behind my motorhome several times a year. I've done it this way for several years.

I do not bother with limiting the steering wheel turning. I do not bother with removing the drive shafts.

I run the engine if I drive over 200 miles. The trans is in neutral and the transfer case in in 2wd.

No problems so far.

Roger
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 03:52 AM

Ditto to what Roger said. The Samurai owners manual echoes his practice, provided your lift is stock.

Two things might make you want to NOT follow the factory rules:

Thing 1 is if you have a lift but don't have extended (or spacered) drive shafts slip joints. some who don't have had theirs fall out during flat towing. Another solution would be the drive shaft disconnect that Trail Tough sells.

Thing 2 is that if you have a lift that changed your steering kingpin angle to be more vertical (for example, a shackle lift without angle-correcting shims), the front wheels won't caster (self-steer) as eagerly when flat towing, and you will get more tire scrubbing.

I personally flat tow with a 1" shackle lift and 3 degree angle shims in the front, and have found it to tow no differently than stock.

Oh, and be sure to unlock the steering column before towing! Turn the key to "on" then back to lock BUT DON'T pull it out. Voila!

Good luck!

Robert
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 08:15 AM

Hot dang another Zuker in SC! Where are you at? I can't imagine that you'd need a trailer to tow the Samurai since you can get to about anywhere in SC by driving less than 200 miles. Don't even need to stop and crank the engine to move gear oil around when you flat tow her. Here's some info that I've gathered from the board by searching (listening Daxe) don't know who to credit but here you go.
Flat Towing - Just do what the owners manual says, hubs unlocked, transfer case in neutral, tranny in 2nd gear, and key in acc. position. Pulling 60-70 mph on the highway is possible. You don't need to leave the key in the 'acc' position, just turn the key on, and then turn it off, and the wheel will remain unlocked as long as you don't take the key out. When you do take it out, you will hear a click, that means that the locking mechanism has been activated.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 09:11 AM

I've flat towed as well, but I reccommend removing your driveshafts. I spun my rear lower half off last time I flat towed. It only takes 10 minutes to do but is worth it. IMHO.

Koko
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Pooh-Bah

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I saw a Tow Bar on ebay that looked cheap enough ($125 new) and thought I might buy it and try it. I would love to get some input on this

[/ QUOTE ]

What did it include? If it is just the tow bar, and not the bracket that attaches to the frame, I'd say forget it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 09:43 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'll make you 2 or 3 for that price. <----not being smart buddy just honest. Do a search for something like [towbar] or [flat towing] I know I have seen something in here about home nade tow bars

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like this? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1200960-hitch 1.JPG (79.1 KB, 4 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 09:46 AM

the local walmart has one for 100.00 all day long

just remember not to mount it to the cheesey stock bumper
it needs to go to the frame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode