J P EATER WITH TOYOTA AXLES - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

J P EATER WITH TOYOTA AXLES

i am planing on instaling a J P Eater spring set up under my zuk with 84 toyota p/u axles. I was wondering what spring pearches do i need to buy ? also any thing i need to but to make the change go quickly. Any help would greatly be appericated. Also any one running setup does it work well. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

Kentucky Moutain Crawlers
KYMC.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 12:34 PM
pugrocker

Re: J P EATER WITH TOYOTA AXLES

Taken from the RRO website:

Keep an eye out in 4WD&Sport Utility magazine for their newest project Samurai. This beast will be using the Rocky Road JPEater deluxe kit on some Toyota axles and many other Rocky Road parts to boot. They wanted the best for their newest project, they knew where to come!

JP-Eater® Wrangler spring conversion kit
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If they aren't offered in the kit already, you'll need 2.5" perches. When I got my perches I found the least expensive Mail-Order was JC Whitney, but they can be bought at 4x or offroad shops reasonably priced also. First, I'd check that link to see what the kit offers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 05:28 PM

Seen the kit on the trail.....not impressed!

Go with the Trail Tough YJ kit....VERY impressive and better built!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and you will get it quickly after ordering it!

I am not bashing, just giving my opinion from what I have seen work well on and off-road.

Sean (Just My Opinion) DeVinney
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 06:40 PM
pugrocker

Sean, I would recommend TT over RRO for anything, anyday of the week but I was just wondering what was wrong with the JP Eater kit (other than a stupid name)?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 07:17 PM

I am not knocking the kit, I was just not impresed with several things about it including the tall shackles, overall quality of it was not that of what I would expect, the flex was NOT better than the Trail Tough kit w/Missing Links and the guy that had it said he was not as happy with the on-road handling or at least he said it did not handle as well as advertised. On the other hand he did like the ride of the YJ springs, but had spring-wrap problem and picked up a few driveline vibes after installing the kit. Guy was using Samurai axles under it no the Toyota's, but either kit could use either axle without much modifications for them to fit. He said he spent alot for it and would have spent more if it meant being more driveable. Heck, he could have installed it wrong, I don't know. Again, I am not trying to put down RRO I am just telling you what I saw on his rig and heard from him.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 08:48 PM

I have the RR kit and I hate the desighn. It is the cheesist thing with the nut and bolt spacer gimmicks. I ended up using welded in steel sleeves and then boxing it all in. They also send all grade 5 hardware, that went in the garbage and I replaced it all with grade 8. I do not see how the new mounts would affect ride or cause spring wrap or a bad ride. Your springs, shocks, track bar, (or lack of)etc... would probably be the problem before mounts would be, if installed correctly IMHO.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 08:50 PM
pugrocker

From what I have seen I have not been too impressed either - here are some pics I saw on the POR (doesn't look too flexy - especially for a YJ kit):

I have never seen it in person though and in typical RRO fashion it was hyped up a lot so I was wondering what the real world impressions were.......
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 08:52 PM
pugrocker

Is this the mounting system?

If it is I would be scared to drive my zuk anywhere with that setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1200425-yjframemount.jpg (19.2 KB, 27 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 11:08 PM

Gee Pug, now I know why they do not put a pic of the kit on the website! I definately could not buy any type of lift kit without seeing it first.

Now the BASHING BEGINS!!!

My first problem, and this is a Personal one, is that they are using the name "DOG-BONE" shackles. I came out with my shackles and named them "DOG-BONE" over 3 years ago. This ticks me off!

My second problem is that in the description of the kit there is picture of a Samurai that DOES NOT even have this kit on it! The first pic is of Fred Swanson's Sammy of Canyon States Components which is using a shackle reversal YJ kit on it and S/R kits are bashed in the description!!!! This makes NO SENSE AT ALL to me!

Last, there is no list of parts and no picture of what the customer gets for his hard earned money! Also, the pic's of the vehicles that are sapposed to have the kit on them are so dark you cannot even make out what the kit looks like. Do you think this was intentional?

Just to clarify, I do not hate RRO at all, I am just ticked off they used "DOG-BONE" (though I have not trademarked it) and dissapointed in their sales tactics and lack of professionalism in showing exactly what they are selling and using ONLY vehicles equipped with this kit in their ad. Otherwise it would seem to be false advertising........

Sean (Still a little ticked off!) DeVinney
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1200474-cjrearkit.jpg (13.2 KB, 54 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode