Lift Laws in NC - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 03:31 PM
billybroncojr

Lift Laws in NC

Just got done reading the post on Johnny Law in MD. I live in a part of Michigan now where there is little enforced regarding vehicle safety laws. In other words there is a lot of redneck junk driving around that the law don't care about. Noise would be about the only thing.
I post the question about North Carolina because it has crossed my mind more than once in the last couple of unseasonable cold miserable weeks that I want to move somewhere warmer! I will probably always have junk and I don't like the law telling me what I can do with my junk. I've been checking some of the other things about the state out, and this is one thing I would like to know about. I was shocked with the absolutely stupid laws that MD had in place. Why in the world should a brand new vehicle have to be emissions tested? The inspection they made me pay for when I moved there was a joke too. Another political money pot.
Well any information on this would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 04:07 PM

Re: Lift Laws in NC

This is slightly OT. Just more MD BS. Back in the day we bought a brand new Pinto off the lot. When we got license plates we had to pay state tax on the car. Shortly afterwards we moved to Pa and plated it there. A year later we ended up moving back to Maryland and had to pay state tax on the vehicle (AGAIN!!) to get MD plates.
The only good thing I can think of that I like about MD is the vehicles only need to be inspected once! (some areas require emissions testing each year..my county is exempt) Unless your dragging parts behind your car (or get a dick cop like Captn Crunch did) they tend to leave you alone.
I have noticed on my trips to the outer banks NC, That there are a lot more raised rigs (some to the extreme) than I'v seen in MD.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 05:03 PM

I have some great news!! There are NO lift laws in NC. There are no fender flare / munflap laws to speak of either. Go as high and as wide as you want. The one thing is that NC is starting emissions testing in some counties but it 98 and newer I think. This makes me very happy. The one law that seems to get 4x4 owners is the off-road light law. You can have as many lights on your truck as you want. BUT, you can only have one set (2 lights) lit at any given time while on the road and they can be no higher than the factory headlights. I can life with this!!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 01:06 PM
billybroncojr

Sounds like my kind of state. I don't mind the emission thing all that much, it's the other laws that are in place to keep me safe that concern me!
Thanks for the feedback!
Later,
Jeff
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 01:52 PM
SPAMurai

Lift laws?! Hmm... Nope, don't think I know of any...
Steve O'
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Addict

Found a law (20-135.4)on the books about lifting a vehicle, but then again it states "except a multipurpose passenger vehicle which is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation."
How is that for quick wording.
Does NC still do the state vehicle inspections?

Steve
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 09:03 PM

Yeah, it's pretty lax where I live. Some counties have the "sniffer" but I've never even had anyone to visually check for a convertor.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 11:40 AM
SPAMurai

http://www.dmv.dot.state.nc.us/enfor...ns/Future.html

most of the state will be emissions-inspected soon. i don't know if there will be grandfathered cars.
steve o'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode