Clutch Won't Fully Disengage ?? With Pics........ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Clutch Won\'t Fully Disengage ?? With Pics........

Even wwith a new cable my clutch won't fully disengage. Seems to be worse when the motor is hot. Before I tear everything apart, I would like an idea as to what is going on....
Any ideas?........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Clutch Won\'t Fully Disengage ??

First off , make sure the clutch release arm is properly aligned on the bell housing , so it is facing just behind vertical at rest . If the vehicle has been sitting awhile , the clutch disk can actually rust right to the flywheel tight . Another problem is the center line of "throw" on the cable , whether it's too far away or not far enough . Try backing off the end adjuster on the cable , then moving the swing point back and forth with the cable housing adjustment at the engine near the passenger side motor mount . Also, look for signs of cracking in that mount , mine broke off one side not too long ago and had to be replaced . There is also a depth setting for the clutch on the pedal , this is more or less used to set the pedal height and throw length . Sometimes a new cable is a bit short or long compared to the one that it replaced , you just have to find the sweet spot .....
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 07:33 PM
AAAJohn

When my Mitsubishi tractor did the same thing I had to install a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing.
I think as they wear down it takes more travel to release them and that's why they don't release.
I did the same thing and adjusted the travel so it would push in farther and it still didn't work till I changed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 11:11 PM

I've had 2 clutch disc push one of the springs nearly out and it did the same thing. Though the second time it was worse and you could hear the spring grind'n on the pressure plate.....But I'm think'n it might be the pressure plate getting weak on yours. And as you said it gets worse when the engine is hot...as the pressure plate if it was going out would become weaker as it got hot. Hope some of this helps

lundy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Crow:

firstly, nice to see you back with us on a regular basis!

If you notice the engine speed drop a little when you put the transmission in neutral and then release the clutch, you probably have a bad pilot bearing -- the bearing that is press-fitted into the center of the flywheel.

Personal experience on that one...

If the clutch just does not feel like it is disengaging all the way, it may be one of those springs in the clutch plate as described in a previous post -- or it may be simply that the clutch cable is not properly adjusted. With the help of Sarge, I created a document on my website that describes how to properly adjust the clutch cable for correct operation. Click on the link in my signature (below) and scroll down the the contents frame on the left side to see the article on this procedure.

If you adjust the clutch and the problem isn't fixed, well you know the drill...

Taking a short digital vacation from my worries,
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 09:45 AM

When I had the same problem on my Tracker I discovered, after tearing out and replacing perfectly good clutch parts that my firewall was cracked under the clutch cable flange. It was enough that the firewall was flexing and keeping the clutch from disengaging just as you described.

I would look there before tearing things all apart and plate that area with some new steel if need be.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 02:05 PM

My guess is your clutch disk is shot. That's what went up on my truck last week. It felt like the clutch wasn't fully engaging and under load the RPMs would increase but speed wouldn't. I'd recommend taking it apart ASAP. I let mine drive like this for a few days and I destroyed the flywheel.

BTW, my Centerforce clutch died because the ring with the weights on it shifted and threw everything off balance. Needless to say, I will NOT be using a Centerforce clutch again. The elcheapo ones from Autozone come with a lifetime guarantee. I told the guy at the store that I'd be seeing him in 6 months so he'd better keep one in stock for me. He laughed because he thought I was kidding...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Finally got to tearing it apart today. The culprit was a toasted disc. The springs were all scored up and loose as all get out. Glad I got to it when I did. The pilot bushing was fine as well as the TO bearing....

I installed a CF3 clutch from my parts rig. Slick as snot...

Of course everything can;t be all roses.... After finishing up I fired the motor up and now the alt wasn't charging. After some fiddling, I somehow got the alt to overcharge (removed the circuit breaker and installed a fuse instead of the fusible link)... On my hasty ride home the voltage periodically fluctuated between overcharging and normal 14+ volts. Fiddled some more after getting home and it's charging normally... Go figure........
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 07:55 PM

What'd I tell ya'! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Your symptoms sounded EXACTLY like mine did last week. I'm glad to hear you got it fixed before things got too bad in there.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 06:49 AM

Capn Crunch,
The best part of the Centerforce is the material that the cluch disc is made of which, not the funky little weights on the pressure plate. Those weights can easily be removed or you can use another heavy duty pressure plate like the Daikin which will work just as well. Wonder if you send back the clutch if it would be covered under warranty?

Sean DeVinney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode