Help, 1.3l won't idle when cold - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 08:57 PM
HAGGLUNDBV206

Help, 1.3l won\'t idle when cold

Hey guys now that it is getting cold at night in alaska I am having trouble getting the 1.3 to run in the morning.Had this problem last winter, all summer has been fine.When I start it up the motor just dies, have to keep my foot into it until it has warmed up.Also it is only the first time I start it for the day.If I go to town and park for 4 hours at -20 it start fine.I just rebuilt the motor 3,000 ago, also new vacuum lines, fuel filter, cleaned the carb and switched egr valve.I have 2 spare carbs, but they run worse.I am not looking forward to another winter of holding the petal to the floor for 10 minutes everymorning. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 10:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Help, 1.3l won\'t idle when cold

To keep the engine running you have to keep the pedal to the floor??? I have to kinna feather mine a little in the wee morning, once warm, no problemo.

What is your fuel setup?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 10:36 PM

Having spent 3 years up there, the 2 major causes we had for this kind of behavior were ice crystals in the fuel lines restricting the fuel flow and faulty dipstick heaters.

Fuel lines: They make a 12 volt heat wrap for motorcycle handlebars. Get some and wrap a foot or two of the fuel line before it gets to the carb. This will warm the fuel before it gets to the jets. Even with the fuel line antifreeze you still get some ice crystals until the lines in the engine compartment heat up. I'm assuming your already using a fuel line antifreeze.

Dipstick heater: Get a new one or if yours is adjustable turn it up. Yours might be working good enough to keep the oil from jelling but not good enough to keep it from getting thick. Until the oil warms up it can bog down the crank and cam causing stalls.

HTH I miss Alaska, but I definitely don't miss trying to keep cars running at 40* below.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

BTW Finish filling out your profile, we like to know something about who we are talking to. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 11:43 PM
Alfie

I don't live in cold extremes as you do. But I have a MTB shifter under my dash hooked directly to the go pedal. I use this to increase throttle settings as I want.
The other thing is I have fitted a M/Cycle handgrip warmer to some alloy and placed it around my carb to preheat it. I have wired it to the accessory part of my ignition switch, and it is a boon. On those cold damp nights when the carb starts to ice up and won't idle properly, loses power down low etc. it is a real help. I have an old demister switch which has the orange light hookrd into the circuit to give me warning it's on and to give me control.
HTH
Alfie.
Also you may have got water or just moisture in your tank during the summer, Yeah?
Maybe take the tank out and drain, flush with alcohol. ?
Just a thought
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 11:53 PM
HAGGLUNDBV206

in the winter I use fuel anti-freeze, but so far it has only got below freezing once so I haven't needed it. I will try the handwarmer wrap for sure, and I will pull my tank and flush it good to eliminate that as well. thanks for the advise
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 11:56 PM
HAGGLUNDBV206

well I guess not really to the floor the whole time, but I have to keep the revs up around 4k with the clutch in, if I let the clutch out the load of the tranny kills it. for fuel just the standard fuel pump, meaning to put in electic sometime.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 01:39 AM
Alfie

Your description of 4K revs to keep it running makes it sound lean when cold?
Any thoughts on what could have changed to make it run lean ?
A/.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 09:25 AM

If you are not already running synthetic crankcase oil and gear lube in the tranny I would suggest that. Also, if you don't have a tank heater installed, you need one. Back in my home state of South Dakota, my '78 Landcruiser could only be shifted with two hand in the winter until I went to a sythetic gear lube in the tranny. Even here in Northern California I run some alcohol in my winter fuel.

www.roadlessgear.com has a idle-up device symiliar to a mountain bike thumb shifter that would allow you to set the idle when the engine is cold.

Maybe it is time to consider fuel injection. www.trailtough.com is running a special.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 02:58 PM
HAGGLUNDBV206

I am not using synthetic in the crancase yet because it is still breaking in, but in maybe another month I will switch.As far as the tranny I have 3 trannies for this and the bearings are shot in all of them, so its not worth the money to put synthetic in till I can get ahold of a good tranny.When it gets really cold it is very difficult to shift with that standard gear lube for sure.I have a heater water heater installed, but never use it because it doesn't seem to heat anything except about 2 feet of hose.It is the original heater from suzuki that goes inline of the bottom rad hose. I may try a different heater this winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode