What's up with my @#$^%^ heater????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

What\'s up with my @#$^%^ heater?????

I have had to use the heater in my Zook for the last few mornings....but I got a small problem with it and seeing if anyone can help me out. As long as I am moving along with RPM's at 2500 or more the air coming out the heater is warm,but as soon as I stop,slow down or let it sit and idle the air gets cold. I checked the radiator and it is full....water pump is new (about 4k on it). I thoought maybe the thermostat might not be opening right so I put in a new 192* one (had a 180* in it )....but no change except that the temp gauge reads about half way up because of the higher temp t-stat as where it was staying on the mark just below half way up. Engine has only 4k on it too since I got it from Asian Auto,so block ports should be clean. Could this be a clogged heater core?? Or any other suggestions on what could cause it??

southpawz_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 04:14 PM

Re: What\'s up with my @#$^%^ heater?????

Try back flushing the core. Disconnect both hoses and run water from a garden hose, (carfully!) in the
reverse direction. Also check the hoses for obstructions. It does sound like the water flow is restricted
in some way. The higher RPMs maybe makes enough pressure to get enough flow to get some heat.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 07:25 PM

Before I ripped my core apart (FRAGILE HOSES) I would check the heater control valve on the firewall, if you havent already done so. I had the a problem with mine a few years back.

Kamazuki [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I go with what KAMA said. Mine was pretty stuck til I gave it a WD-40 bath. Have someone slide the temp control while you see if there is full movement. Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

I have checked that....I took a pair of pliers and made sure the rod was pulled out all the way on the valve....just cant figure why it only heats with higher rpm's......I will keep fooling around with it before I go tearing things apart....any other suggestions???
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 04:35 AM

mine did the same thing, i had to put a piece of cardboard
in front of radiator to keep the heat, then i flushed the the radiator and made sure the valve to the heater core was
open and drove it around for a few days then flushed it out
and havent had a problem since
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 09:22 AM

Could be that the inside of the heater box is filled with crud. Because of the pi$$ poor electrical systems on Zuks your fan may not be turning fast enough at idle to blow through the gunk buildup. Do a search on the I Zook site, they have an artical on a quick and EZ heater fix.
Here's the link. http://www.izook.com./tech/samurai/b...eaterclean.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 11:03 AM

If the herater core is not covered with leaves and the temp control valve is working properly then it sounds like the heater core or a hose is plugged. The block should be clear as you stated earlier. Here's my tried & true flush technique. I do this to every water cooled engine I own. BEWARE this method will find any weak corroded part in the system and cause a leak, such as the heater core in your case. First find a source for reverse osmosis filtered water, if its been post filtered thru some deionization resins as well thats even better. Next drain the old coolant. Now refill with the RO/DI water (without any antifreeze) and drive the truck around town for about 20 miles or just run it this way for a few days as long as freezing is not a problem w/o antifreeze in the system. Inspect the hoses, core, valve unit and other parts for leaks during this time. Last step is to flush out this water, should look dirty, and refill with RO/DI water along with antifreeze. The idea is that the RO/DI water is a great solvent, it's so pure that it will dissolve the gunk in the system. Some folks use distilled water but reverse osmosis water is best since it will not have metal ions in it from the distilling process. You can buy this water at better aquarium shops because they use it in saltwater aquariums. Certain medical and / or chemical labs have the filter units to produce this water. Try "The Aquatic Critter" in Nashville if you can't find some in town. This treatment found the holes in my K5 Blazer heater core and let me know that the Zuk water pump needed to be replaced too!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 06:26 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
find a source for reverse osmosis filtered water

[/ QUOTE ]

Walmart sells it as "drinking water". It's in the gallon bottle with the green top, and if you look at the label it says "distilled by reverse osmosis". I've been using it for years for my Salt Water Reef Tank. At 67 cents a gallon, they are less than half the price of my local fish store.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 07:34 PM

Thats a great tip JerseyZuks. Everybody should use water of this quality, it really pays off in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode