Cleaning out the carbon - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning out the carbon

I think I've narrowed down my slight pinging at half throttle with the culprit being carbon build-up.Are there any quick remedies for this?thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Cleaning out the carbon

You'll hear unsafe methods - pour ATF, water, Carbon Cleaner etc down the throat. All make the posibility of knocking a chunk of carbon off inside, bending a valve or holing a piston.
Best, fastest, and SAFE way is add a can or two of Techron to the gas tank and drive it. It slowly dissolves it - no chunks - leaves the inside like new. Lots of chemicals around will do it - I've found Techron to be the best.

But the carbon is there because you are too rich - getting the mixture right -- or fixing a weak ignition system - will burn off the carbon in a few miles anyway.

Mid range ping - wrong plug? Stick to original equipment plugs, platinums, splits, multi's, Yellow, pink, blue plugs, etc can cause it - and lots of damage. Those trash plugs go by the idea that "one size fits all" -- they have very few numbers to fit most everything -- why do real plugs have so many numbers?
Do they think all engines need the same heat range?

Ask your wife how "one size fits all" fits her.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 07:57 AM
SPAMurai

so which plugs do you recommend? it's about time to change mine...
steve o'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 08:23 AM

NGK plugs are what I run in my zuks . The app # is under the hood .
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeah,thanks.
Ive run Bosch platinums for about 2 yrs,so maybe Ill try NGK.
Honestly, ever since the pony installation a couple of years ago,I have run a little rich even after tweaking countless times,so I guess it finally caught up [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Way Outta Control

When the engineers designed the head (yes head, not fuel source, not ignition type or anything else - plugs match the head's chamber shape) they designed it around a certain plug - it'll be in the service manual, owners manual, and underhood sticker.
They took in account the heat range, depth, sealing, and indexing when they made their selection.
They also called out torque specs. Torque is important to get the ground electrode in the proper position so it doesn't mask the flame once lit.

The pimple faced kids at the parts house reading advertising hype and lies haven't a clue to what's best for your engine - otherwise they would be the ones designing it instead of working for peanuts.

A misfiring plug may look black, but it doesn't mean rich - just it's not burning all the air/fuel mixture properly. The result is high emissions, poor fuel economy, and worse yet - not getting the use of all the ponies in there.

Think about it -- platinum - it's a better conductor than copper or steel - true. The 1.5" or so of the center electrode may be .00001 ohms lower in resistance - true.
But then why do you feed it with a plug wire with several thousand ohms resistance? It's all in the path of the spark.

Fact - the spark likes to jump from a sharp edge to a sharp edge. But the thin center electrode being smaller has less sharp edge - wears faster, increases required voltage.

Splitfires - the spark only jumps once, and through one path only. That path usually differs slightly each time it fires, but it only takes one path at a time.
Time lapse photography in the splitfire ads show the spark jumping through several paths simultaneously. The photo is actually showing multiple firings, not just one. ANY plug will do the same exact thing -- try it! (Just attach a plug wire to a loose grounded plug and watch the spark jump.) Do you want something in your engine based on a lie?

And - since they don't make very many numbers, "one size fits all." They are a good way to destroy your engine! Do you think they'll pay for a new one?

But all the gimmick plugs get what the maker wants -- your money!!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 01:51 AM
Alfie

That's good common sense there RRich. I tried the Bosch +4s cos they were recommended by zookers on this forum, but have gone back to NGKs and I can notice a better response off idle, and it seems to rev out cleaner as well.
Question for ya, I have the std 8V head, but it's on a Gti short block so has 10:1 compression. Plus all the normal go fast (read go better) mods.
Should I change my plug type, heat range etc. etc.
Thanks Alf.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 07:55 AM

i currenttly run the denso 2031 gap at .035
with an accel high output coil and a webber and ported intake from sarge

i would like to increase gas mileage
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks and good info here,especially RRich.I have to admit humbly that I was guilty of the one size plug fits all theory [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode