Help? Extending Wheelbase and Driveline Spacer ?s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Help? Extending Wheelbase and Driveline Spacer ?s

1995 JX 4 Door Kick

How we plan on extending the wheelbase is fairly simple, we had already planned on extending the ball joint/heim joint base like Mike Hagen's:

We aren't going to rotate the spring perches as was mentioned in the Zukiworld article, but instead extend the trailing arms, by cutting them in half and sliding some solid tube steel in the centers of them, seperating the two pieces as fas we we needed to, and then welding back together using the solid tube as a spacer. Sort of like this:

The next question would be what size of driveline spacer I might need. Nate's (hubby's) calculations led him to about 1 3/4 inches.

I called Rocky Road's "tech line" and was told that samurai spacers are the same as sidekick spacers? And that I could get a Samurai spacer that was 1 1/2 inches...

It seems to me that Samurai spacers would be smaller, and not the same.

Can somebody clear this up? And what do you all think about extending the wheelbase this way? Will it work? (I just want to put 33's on her!)

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Help? Extending Wheelbase and Driveline Spacer ?s

Why wouldn't it be the same distance or close to it? I don't know much for RRO tech but it seems that your moving it back, not creating more travel.

It will be close the only thing you can do is measure your distance when everything is put back together. I would suggest making the shaft longer, that worked better for me... I moved my rear back a bit more than an inch and a half but my travel was also increased with drop shackles so I bought some steel that was the same ID as my shaft cut it to length, welded it, and walaaa! Costing a fraction of the cost of a spacer.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Pooh-Bah

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It seems to me that Samurai spacers would be smaller, and not the same.
Can somebody clear this up?

[/ QUOTE ]

The spacers are a dual bolt pattern spacer, the early samurai models used a small bolt pattern, the late model samurais used the same bolt pattern as the kick/tracks.

I'd take pics for a visual, but I've been too lazy to fix my computer program for my camera [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Veteran

Looking at the pics you posted you will need to move the spring mount on the frame otherwise the spring will be S-ed when installed. To me it looks like the axle will be further back than the spring mount on the frame. I did the axle rotate you describe to get my pinion up higher and it helps a lot to drag over rocks. The pinion is now in-line with the driveshaft. I don't yet have a double-cardan driveshaft but I don't get much vibration at all. I would rotate the housing if you're going through all the other work, this would be the time [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode