high-tec-retread tires ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

high-tec-retread tires ?

Anybody running a set of the retreaded tires from
http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html ?

Between the OTR mud and the regular mud tire that they show on their web site, which one should have the best traction in mud ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 06:43 AM
Veteran

Re: high-tec-retread tires ?

I'm running a set of OTR's right now on my tracker and they are a very good tire so far. his tire is excellent in rocks due to the smaller lugs. As far as mud, I personally don't care for it but they haven't got me stuck yet in the mud I've had to hit and its been up to the doors so far. For the price, they can't be beat.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

A good mud tire needs to be able to clean itself out.For example a Interco Swamper Bogger with more than 50% tread. They clean out great when they are newer. Many tires like my BFG Mud Terrains are crappy for that reason. They don't clear-out decently making them a slick in sticky mud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:17 AM

Do a search on retreads, there was a long discussion on that topic awhile ago. I would save my money and but some real tires like Swampers, Goodyear MTRs, or BFG. I believe in the long run you be much happier....just my .02
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:40 AM
pugrocker

Search results for query: RETREAD
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 08:22 AM
Journeyman

I've ran several sets of these and have had very good luck with them. These aren't the usual ones you see torn off beside the road from big trucks. They are top quality. The price speaks for itself. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:16 AM
Can't Get Enough

Apollo,
I'm running the OTR's in 31x10.5, and have been very pleased so far. They are a soft compound and have little road noise and of course they're affordable! $276/set to the door. I don't do much mud so I don't know how they would hold up in that case. Hope this helps.

L8R,
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:23 AM

Somebody on this board had stated they were running down the highway and his retreads pulled a firestone act and shredded apart, throwing him into the median and almost into on-comming traffic...swampers sounded good to me after that [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Studly...

Were those High Techs or just some other off the wall brand?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:55 AM
SilverZuk

Iíve been running a set for about 18 months. They compound is soft, tires flex good across tread. Most of the time I do not air down below 12-15 psi. Wear hasnít been too noticeable, but I don't drive mine on the street too often anymore.

The sidewalls are the weak point. I have several concerning cuts in my sidewalls, and have complete cut one on the trial (4-inch cut). They grip good on the rocks due to the soft compound and flexy carcass. That is also the weak point. The soft compound would likely wear quick if driven on road daily, more so on a heavy rig, and the soft flexy carcass = weak sidewalls. You have to remember the sidewalls may already have 40k miles on them.

I got them delivered to my door for $60 each for the 31x10.50 OTR mud. They suck in the mud, around here we have soil types that dictate swampers or boggers. Very few other tires work well. With the Suzuki I lack the power to spin the tires hard enough for them to clean adequately.

I bought them because I needed 4 tires and thatís all I could afford at the time. They have served me well, and will probably serve most well. The next set Iím getting will probably be Swamper LTBís. They are much softer and flex better than the SXís, comparatively same cost as any decent mud tire, and they work well in the slick stuff like the SX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode