vibrations from motor with Petroworks 16v kit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Wyld_Bill

vibrations from motor with Petroworks 16v kit

Anyone on here running this kit? I'm trying to get rid of vibration problems on my Zook. I've been messing around with my driveshaft a lot but I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the vibration is coming from my motor. I just recently swapped in a 16v using the new Petroworks kit. I'm looking at a few things as being the possable source of the vibes. 1. the flange on the exhaust manifold it up tight against the inner side of the Zook's frame. 2. the motor mounts seem to be more rigid. 3. the exhaust piping may be touching on my skid plate at times. Anyone else have vibrations one or more of these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: vibrations from motor with Petroworks 16v kit

How are the ujoints on the Intermediate shaft? I had one freeze on the sami and It caused me some grief till I found it.

Just a thought. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 08:03 PM

I have had vibes from a nasty exhaust system a local shop installed on a Zuk I had. Exactly as you suggested, the downpipe was hitting the frame rail ocassionally at idle and always when I got on the gas. Fixed it with a torch and a pry bar to flatten out the side of the pipe and get it away from the frame. If this is not the problem it could be a driveline issue. I have used most every 1.6 kit on the market, but never installed the Petroworks kit so I have no clue whether that could be the problem or not. Rigid mounts will allow you to feel the motor, but should not cause excessive vibrations. I bought a Zuk with the drivers side motor mount welded together and did not feel any odd vibes!

Good luck isolating the problem.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 08:29 PM

Sean is on target, get thoses pipes off the frame and skid plates.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Wyld_Bill,

I too have the 16v PW kit and did experience the additional vibrations that you mention. First off get the header off the frame. If yours is like mine, I had VERY tight clearance on the header side... in fact, under hard acceleration the header would hit the frame and send a 'clunk' along with the vibes. Just take a grinder and mark the area and give yourself a little more room to move in there.

Secondly, I found that the mounts are extremely stiffer fore/aft and must be very tight. I loosened up the plates at the base of the mounts, and retightened the rubbers as tight as I could get them, then retighted the plates.... problem solved... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Wyld_Bill

Thanks B.B. I torched out the frame a little at the exhaust flange (it killed me to do that). I found a place that teh cat. converter may have been touching on th eskid plate & fixed that. Juat took it for a test drive,...much better now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode