Johnny Joint Q? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Johnny Joint Q?

The zook goes under the knife next week. First stage: suspension, axles, tires and some steering prep work. I was wondering about the type of give on jonny joint using them on on the lower part of the link. At the top, I am using heims, I may just go with a polly bushing lower. I have seen it work well but the thought of the JJ still lurks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Johnny Joint Q?

depends, where do you want to use them exactly. Glenn and I use them and they work great. Where were you thinking of using them?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

As much as I would like to use JJ's I cant justify the price I would personely run hiem at the frame and Bushings at the axle, I also would run rubber to help absorb the shock load they will see instead of poly. just my 02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
where do you want to use them exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking at the axle mounts... instead of bushings

I would personely run hiem at the frame and Bushings at the axle, I also would run rubber to help absorb the shock load they will see instead of poly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that was my thought straight away but I would only need 6 JJ's or even just 4 and there is more "reliable" flex in the joing than the bushing. Since I am running heims at the frame. I agree with you about the rubber instead of poly. I want to do it right the first time.

I have done so much research... ALOT of capable rigs run the heim/bushing setup. Expense has been thrown out the window on this project. I don't want to even mention the kind of $ I have dropped in the last 2 months.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 04:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

No give ont he JJ they work very well.
as to the cost of the Heim VS JJ once you get all the parts it is close anyway. (you know the misalignment washers, and threaded inserts..) I go only with the Teflon race heims otherwise you will be replacing them more often over the life of the rig. (so the life cost is higher.) I have found quality Heims for around 18.00 (3/4X16 ) add the 3-6$ for the insert and a few bucks for the misalginment washers and you are in the 26.00 range per joint. the JJ where $36- 38 I think. It is really apples and oranges type question.
one is a throw away (hiem) and the other is a greasable (you can get that with heims too) rebuildable joint.

SO just look at the apps and deciede from there. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 04:47 AM

the only true benefit to using a heim over a JJ is that you can adjust the length of the arm when using a heim. Just a turn of the all hread. If your arms aren't exactly the same with the JJ you will have a crooked sammi. Having said that I have the JJ's and I like them a lot.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 04:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I would recommend them if there is any twisting going on at that particular position. I have bushings at my front axle mounts, those dont twist much. In the rear I have JJ's, there is no way a bushing would give enough flex for that kind of movement. Dont start skimping now! I know you already have some $$$ invested in this rig.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:06 AM

I beleive Rubicon Express has just released a new redesigned JJ that is better than the previous one. Not sure how much they want a piece for them, but it's worth looking into.

Koko
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

So, I guess I could run heims completely throughout since I can get them from our local 4x4 and race supply shop which my friend owns. They supply various levels of quality.

Problem is... now where is the give in the links? With the bushings there is somewhere to absorb some shock... not with JJ or heims. Remember, I am running heims at the frame mounts... this is at the axle mointing point we're talking about.

Dont start skimping now! I know you already have some $$$ invested in this rig.

[/ QUOTE ]

Skimping? The only thing I am skimping on is what I eat. I am losing weight by putting all the extra cash into this thing instead of meals!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Can't Get Enough

I would not run all Heims, as you have stated. There will be no give for the shock load, and you'll end up ripping it out of the housing. If your going to use heims, use them on the shackle and use normal poly bushings on the axle.
I myself would use both poly bushings and a JJ at the shackle..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode