16 Valve Swap...a customers true opinions..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

16 Valve Swap...a customers true opinions.....

Last spring I did a 1.6 16 valve conversion for Kevin Walker and recently I asked him to give me his opinions and reflections about the swap. Here is the final verdict....it has beed added to the end of the write-up:
http://members.cox.net/aftermarket4x4/zukiorange.html

It is definately interesting to read someone's true opinions if nothing else.

Sean DeVinney
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1194334-zukiorange.jpg (5.9 KB, 43 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 08:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 16 Valve Swap...a customers true opinions.....

Very nice article straight and to the point.. And of course reflects the profesionalism of Sean and his Company....

BOY does that sound ass kissing LOL
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 09:54 PM

Nice writeup. How fast in 5th gear can he go? I assume with those gears he is limited by rpm. My 1.6 has a ton more power than the 1.3 did as well, but I wouldn't say I have tons of power at 65+ in 5th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 10:05 PM

I am ready to drive mine .... this week maybe ?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 10:24 PM

About 8 years ago I had a engine swap done locally on the hardtop I was using as my daily driver, and boy did I get ripped off. Not only did I wind up paying $1000 more than the original price quote, but the engine (which was supposed to be a factory rebuild) ran worse than the motor he took out. Vaccuum lines weren't connected, the electrical system was rigged together, just all around a very poor job. What upset me most was that I would have to call this guy 6 times to get one call back. About a month after I picked up hardtop, the guy was out of business. Needless to say I was very leary about finding someone to do a swap in my current zuk.

After surfing the BBS for a while, Sean's name kept popping up over and over. I poked around on his website, and saw some of the conversions he had done. I emailed Sean a few times with some basic questions, and I was always impressed by how quickly he responded. After a lot emails went back and forth, I eventually decided that he was the person I wanted to do the 1.6L conversion for me, even though he is 300 miles away.

Sean has been great through this whole process. I just looked in my Outlook folder, and so far Sean has responded to 44 emails! He has presented me with every option every step of the way, and has been incredibly patient, even with my dumbest questions. Sean even took the time to email me when his house was getting hit by hurricane Isabel, just to let me know my Zuk was OK!

Currently Sean has completed the SPOA for me, and is installing the 1.6L and the new exhaust. I also have purchased a set of 1.25" wheel spacers from him.

Because of Sean's professionalism, I will be asking him to do a second swap for me as soon as I rebuild my checking account. To wrap up this long winded post, I would just like to say that I would definately recomend Sean DeVinney from Aftermarket4x4

Thanks again Sean!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

We never took Kevin's Samurai abover 65mph, but it felt as if it could have easily gone 80 or so. I have had my white Samurai up to 100+ mph several times. You should have seen the looks I got! It was very stable and comfortable to drive at that high of a speed....believe it or not.

I do appreciate the kudo's, but the main reason for this post was to have a customer share his views on the 16 valve motor vs the built 1.3 swift GTI motor he had. Basically reitterating that the 1.6 16 valve is an incredibly good choice for not just the daily driver, but for the monster rock crawlers as well.

If i can ever find one economically I'd love to do a 2.0 liter swap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean (itchin for more power!) DeVinney
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you've gone 100 + in the whitie, the slamurai I am building should work nicely at high speeds [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. "EEExcelent"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 10:26 PM

Um...uh... I took my stock height tintop with a nearly new 16V out of an X-90 up to 120mph while racing a buddy in his Honda. At least he tells me I was going that fast. I know I was going well over 100mph because the speedo was WAY buried. It was "white knuckle" driving at that speed.

My next project is going to be an SS Geo Metro convertible (SS stands for Super Sleeper). It'll be complete Swift GT running gear underneath - with maybe a turboed engine. Can we say, "9 second quarter mile Metro?" Shhhhh - don't tell anyone. [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:50 AM

Well I need to give Sean an "At a Boy" also. I dealt with Sean via email and then took the three hour drive to do a wheel swap and pick up a new front clip. Sean definately knows his Sh*t, and has a dream shop setup. If you need any used parts(he has tons of em), new parts whatever, if it goes on a sammi, chances are he's got one or can get it for you in a few days time. I want to thank Sean for his great work ethic, and hospitality. Sean, send me a pm about the aftermarket bumpers you got for sale.

Thanks again Sean and aftermarket4X4.

Kamazuki [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Can't Get Enough

Ya Capn....

Now that's an idea that I could get into.... here little Honda.... [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode