Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

tranny question...

1988.5 Zuk with 156,000 miles
Tranny oil was changed in the Spring
Lucas oil additive was used with cheap 80-90w oil

Tranny is blowing oil out durring long trips. Looks like its coming out around the gear shifter.

The vent is routed into a hose that is run into my Snorkel. (all of my vent tubes are run into the snorkel)

Possible problems....

1. Oil is foaming and therefor taking up to much space...resulting in some oil overflowing out the gear shifter.

2. Having the vent plumbed into my Snorkel is having an adverse effect that I'm unaware of. Resulting in oil somehow overflowing out the gear shifter.

Anyone have any other thoughts or ideas or suggestions???

We're not talking about losing a quart of oil...it's just enough to wet the sides of the tranny and drip a little bit on the ground after the Zuk is parked.

I do not notice the problem when just driving around town and short 15 minute rides.

Thanks!
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 04:23 PM
Addict

Re: tranny question...

It sounds like it's not vented properly. The around town thing gives it away. At high speed the snorkel is probably getting a positive air pressure boost. Do you have the opening facing the front?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Here's my theory:

If you have your tranny vented to the snorkle, I would think that the snorkle might be causing an effect like an atomiser (like in a paint airbrush) from the movement of air to the carb/TBI. such an arrangement would generate a negative air pressure (vaccuum?) in the transmission case.

The resulting change in pressure inside the transmission case may be causing air to be sucked in through the shifter mount. Air moving through transmission while the engine is running at high RPMs (ie highway driving) might be causing the foaming. When you stop, the foam is redistributed in the transmission (remember, it is created by air drawn through the shifter mount hole so the foam is 'sucked' away from that location...) so that some of the foam flows out of the shifter mount hole onto the transmission and ground until the foam dies down.

Plausable?

Solution:
reroute the vent tube to some other location that does not not provide a negative pressure on the transmission vent. Or the differential vents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I think I'm going to try and re-route the vent tube....I'll let you know how it goes....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode