Who makes the best SPOA Kit? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 12:18 AM
funksH3

Who makes the best SPOA Kit?

I am looking to put an spoa on my 90 samurai. Who makes the best easiest to install, don't have to run to the parts store for bolts that should have been included, SPOA kit? I have a welder so I can weld the spring pads on.

It seems rocky road has the best system out there, but I thought I would ask some guys who have actually done this stuff and had good or bad luck with a system. also what are good shocks to run"? rocky road says the ones they sell are far superior to the ranchos.

I have seen a lot of SPOA systems out there Spidertrax-rockyroad-calmini-petroworks-Roadless gear. one has got to be superior. I do like the detail that rocky road goes into on their system. Thanks for the
help.

Also anyone tried the best top wind jammer? I would really like something to block the wind coming in form behind. It looks like this set-up from STC might be better. any thoughts?
http://www.roadlessgear.com/page/RGL/PROD/SB/STC881150
roadless gear STC windjammer

I will mostly use this vehicle on road and on dirt trails not a lot of rock crawling.

One more thing... how are 31's without power steering? I was
thinking I could run the psi up in the front tires when on the road
to reduce the friction and make it easier to steer. Any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 05:51 AM

Re: Who makes the best SPOA Kit?

Bud all I can do is give you my opinion an what I have.
I am running the Trail Tough YJ Missing Link set-up and I went SPOA also. NC-Zuk helped with my front & rear [lower] shock mounts. I also have a fabbed upper [rear] shock mount that NC-Zuk made for me. I used the ford shock tower for the front. All in all I really do like the set-up and the amount of flex it shows.
However.............if you will be using the zuk as a D/D and some dusty trails driving then I know that there is a better less expensive set-up for your purpose. I know someone will chime in.

BTW.....you can also do a search for [SPOA] and see what comes up. HTH bud.

David
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 07:56 AM

Where are you from?.....Fill out your profile when you get a chance.
As for SPOA lifts you must first start with the most important item in the kit, the spring perch. Only use spring perches that are welded all the way around on the axle housing to distrubute spots and it will eventually collapse the thin Samurai axle tubing. Here are pic's of the perches Trail Tough and Aftermarket4X4 [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] sell.

Stay away from "bolt-on" SPOA kits and perches that weld only to the lower perches and those that weld on top of the U-bolt retainers on the front axle.

The next most important item is steering components. The best byfar is the crossover steering systems, but are very pricey so alot of people go with the 3" drop pittman arm (since there is no core charge) or the 5" drop Z-LINK:

Next you need to use 20" - 24" long RUBBER brake hoses. Stainless steel braided lines look nice, but I have had people snap them on the trails since they do not stretch like the rubber. Loss of brakes is BAD!

You should also use either 1 inch driveshaft spacers (one front and one rear), or 1" extended slip yokes, or 1" extended driveshafts.

For shocks I highly recommend the Doeschtech's for a really nice ride and excellent performance off-road....as well as for the built-in bump stops. If you are building a vehicle for maximum flex then I recommend installing new upper and lower shock mounts so longer shocks can be used properly.

The BEST piece of information is to buy a COMPLETE KIT (don't piece it together from several different manufacturers sice quality lift kits are designed to work as a system) from a company that is 100% there for their customer at the time of the sale and willing to answer your questions in a second after the sale.

Good Luck in your search: AFTERMARKET4X4

Sean DeVinney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 08:19 AM

The bestop windjammer works good . I didnt like how it fastened with all the straps though . MY old fingers had troubles taking it on and off . I have considered having one made that snaps to the roll bar instead of using straps .
Now as to the power steering question ? I wanted it after I locked the front end on my zuk . Before I locked it I wasnt thrilled with steering it after a long day but I lived with it .
The best investment I have made in my zuk was Gears and lockers , followed by power steering .
I do like the TT/Aftermarket perch . I think you will end up going to the hardware store no matter what setup you buy . When I did my soa I went to the store every other hour or so to get something else that I needed .
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 10:16 AM

I've been running the RRoad Bolt on SPOA kit since April of this year and have been very happy with it.

Yes you do have to check the U-Bolt nuts every once and a while but you really need to do that with any SPOA anyway.

Everything I've read in this post so far seems to be good advice although I must object to this statement.

"Stay away from "bolt-on" SPOA kits and perches that weld only to the lower perches and those that weld on top of the U-bolt retainers on the front axle."

I did not have access to a welder @ the time I installed it but do now. You can weld the RR spring pearches to the axle tubing if you like but it has performed so well as is I have not bothered to weld them up.

So a search, I posted a write up regarding the install and performace of the RRoad kit a couple months ago. Best part is I bought it off an Ebay auction straight from RRoad and paid much less than list price on their website.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 11:14 AM

i have always made everything myself

i have the brake lines already and the stock shocks for a while so i did not need the drive spacers but if you allow your springs to travel their full droop them your drive shafts will fall out i promise.
for the perches well i used the trailer perches 2 3/8" i think from northern tools 4.00 each but you cant just do that you have to box them in or you will rip your tubes

the wind jammer is great ( got it from www.4wd.com it was the cheapest i found) early morn keep it up turn the heat on in the after noon loosen the top side it down for the drive home and then just raise it back up i never took mine completely off until i got the safari top now i dont worry with it

as for the power steering kit. you can get one from the juck yard then you need a couple of things to make it work
i currently have one on ebay make a bid or email me an offer it will be everything you will need to install it
i just put one on mine 2 weeks ago and it is so sweet now my arms do not hurt.

her are some pics of the spring perches on my rear axel i added rear disk brakes too. also pics of the power steering set up mine is just a bit different due to the 3" body lift so i had to make a bracket for the reservoir it LQQKs completely stock if you would like the extra bracket and hose it can be aranged use the buy it now and i will make you one

here a several pics

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2434440098

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 12:16 PM
funksH3

Just so you guys know I did do a search on SPOA before I posted and couldn't find the info I was looking for. Thanks a lot for the help so far. A couple more questions.

I think I am going to go with the rocky road Kit for 500, you get everything: shocks, mounts, perches, drive line spacers, zlink, and brake lines. I noticed <font color="blue"> </font color> said stay away from perches that only weld to your old mounts. I would be welding the rockyroad's to the old mount and to the tube as well, just not as heavily on the tube. Would that be OK? I am far from a great welder and would hate to do undoable damage to the axle tube.

Is the over the top steering system A LOT Better? Rocky road will toss in the over the top system for only 50 bucks more.

Last question: will the safari top rid me of ther wind coming from the back of the sammy? I would like to get the safari top but I thought I would still have the wind problems, that is why I was looking at the windjammers.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 12:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Go with the breeze kit from northcoast and also get the breeze trac bar, buy your own shocks.
[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with Nowhere.

I installed a 4.5" SPOA from Nortcoast Offroad. All the parts were there for the basic kit. I added in the brakeline extensions, a set of Ranchos with a rear shock mount and a Breeze crossover draglink for the complete deal -- nothing else needed. Tim Tackett was very helpful when I had questions not covered in his included documentation.

The only thing that I did not get was a new set of shackle bushings - I bought them later.

STAY AWAY FROM CHEAPO KITS USING TRAILER PERCHES!

All the dealers mentioned previously in this thread use/manufacture perches especially designed for use on your Samurai. All of them will serve you well -- you will not go horribly wrong buying from any of them. I just like NCO's service after the sale.

Hope this helps!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 02:26 PM

with the bikini on and the windows up not much blow back.
the windjammer is mostly for rain and colder temps to hold in some of the heat.
i run the safari and a duster i dont even bother with the windjammer now because of the hassel.
the reason i bought the jammer was because i already had the bikini top and duster and it was cheaper than a new top because i also had no hardware to mount it

safari tops are good for the back seat riders for sun and minor rain. find someone with a top with fogged up windows and cut everything out of it or get the kyline with the roll up windows

if you are going with the complete kit i would throw in OTT as well

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode