Mild suspension Lift GIVE me your input - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mild suspension Lift GIVE me your input

Both my sons and I have stock suspension Samurai's. We are getting together Saturday to do some work to all of them. We would like a mild suspension lift but only plan to go to a tire size of 235/15 on our rigs. We dont like the loss of power associated with larger tires and can go about anywhere with the smaller ones. We dont rock crawl, just hill climbing and some occasional mud. We are kicking around the following lift options: #1 2" body lift #2 Adding a leaf to our leaf springs and maybe a 1" longer shackle #3 Adding a 1" longer shackle on the front and a 1.5 inch rear spring mount drop. I have relocated the rear spring mount before on another Sammy and had good luck with it. #4 Is probably my favorite option but may be cost prohibited is a Shackle Reversal from Calmini I DONT really want to go SPOA as I dont have access to a welder to do the spring pads (on 6 seperate axles) More suspension TRAVEL would be nice too, will I have to add longer shocks and move the shock mounts to achieve this? Thanks in advance for your input guys, this is a truly great site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 06:41 PM
Veteran

Re: Mild suspension Lift GIVE me your input

How about OME springs? I think they are 2" lift springs and they ride about the smoothest I 've ever seen.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

CJ springs in the rear with the rear up front spring kit from northcoast??
2~3" maybe there'bouts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 07:08 AM

I'm reading this thread with much interest as I'm in the same boat with my truck, and I'm after the same results. Will the OME springs give you better highway ride quality than the CJ / RUF combo. Will either set up reduce the buckboard ride effect as compared to the stock suspension? I know that a longer wheelbase is a big help here but I not willing to go the YJ route.
TIA
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 08:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have shackle reversals on both my Zukes and like it. It smoothed out the ride quite a bit. 2" in the front and 1.5 in the rear with 3" longer shackles. Jim
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 AM

What nowwhere said. you will get the lift and the added flex, without the problems associated with shackle
lifts which will remove castor and change pinion angles. I'd add to that some different shocks and mounting
for the shocks so they don't limit the articulation. replacing the stock shacles with a ladder type would be
a good upgrade also. Make sure you don't over extend the brake lines.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 09:19 AM

There was a lot of discussion on this in the past. See what you can find on a search.

That said, on my daily driver I have OME springs with Trail Tough shackles in stock spring under set up. I believe it gave me approximately 2-2.5" lift. I did not relocate my shock mounts, but I did go with longer DT 8000 shocks. I clear 30x9.50 AT tires with no problems on 7" wide wheels and 2.5" backset. This along with t-case gears gives me a good combination of hiway manners and trail ability. I tow a trailer a lot with this Samurai.

If I were to do it all over again I probably would do the same or maybe consider YJ springs.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 05:47 PM

I have 235/75 (29") tires with rears up front and CJs rear and it's great. Made about a 2.5" lift with the front ending up level. Really smooth ride with cheapy shocks, enough flex for my poseur wheeling, and inexpensive. I had spring relocating plates and shackles made but it wasn't any cheaper than buying the NCO parts. Pic is what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1193779-NEWLOOK.jpg (96.1 KB, 66 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 09:45 AM

Thats exactly what I'm after Toyguy! How would you rate the ride improvement over stock? In percentage terms 25%, 50%, 100% better? I know its an odd question but when people describe something and say the difference is like "night and day" well what heck does that mean to me. It is easy to understand that a 100% improvement would mean that it's twice good as what you started with. Or in this case it reduced the rocking horse ride by 50%, the ride feels 100% smoother or I have 100% more travel. This question is not ment to be a PIA for all who read and respond but I hoped to get a more detailed evaluation about ride quality with this set up. I have nobody near me with a modified Sammi to test drive and make these comparisons so you guys are my only source of "seat of the pants" information.
Thanks again,
Dave
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 10:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Clicker, You kinda hit the nail on the head with statement of not having something to try. Check out this BBS. Zuwharrie BBS Alot of southern guys on there and there is a club from SC. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode