Which design for drive shaft spacer? 4 or 8 hole? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Which design for drive shaft spacer? 4 or 8 hole?

Hi there,

I want to build a 1 1/4" drive shaft spacer. I have looked on several manufacturer's homepages and found different designs.
Some have 4 holes and just use longer screws. Some have 8 holes, some have threads in the alloy spacer.

I would like to use the simple design with 4 holes and long screws going through tc-flange, spacer and drive shaft flange.
Is there any down side to this design such as self untightening of bolts etc.? Can I use the spacer on the axle side (better to clear the exhaust manifolt)?

I appreciate all your comments and general info on how to build a spacer.

Thanks in advance,

norbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Which design for drive shaft spacer? 4 or 8 hole?

Why 1-1/4" seams a little exsessive in length. how much lft do you have are you putting it on front or rear, stock drive shaft.. more info needed for an apropriate answer
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:24 PM

Re: Which design for drive shaft spacer? 4 or 8 ho

I made 1 1/4 spacers in the shop and used the 8 whole design..the other 4 holes are just to lighten the material but you gotta make sure you index everything..you dont wanna get any vibration.. I have a picture but its to large for an attachment. I dont know if its on my website but you can look there...www.geocities.com/toober03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:50 PM

Anyone ever see the one that Justin Fender was using that was homemade out of ABS plastic??? Swore it worked great, but it sounded a bit dangerous to me!

Sean (Scared of anyone that uses plasctic in their driveline!) DeVinney
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Speaking of driveline addins did you get the package Sean
-Scott
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Journeyman

Save yourself a lot of [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] and talk to this guy RockRat. Check this out Adapters .
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

thanks for all your answers. The reason for a 1 1/4" spacer is that I want to compensate that I moved the front axle forward. I need to clear the oil pan of an European Kick's 2.0l V6. I addition I have 2" lift.
I am planning to run stock axles and drive shafts until something breaks and/or I am fabbing a new suspension.
I do not want to buy a spacer as I thik fabbing your own stuff is fun.

Did you ever have bad experiences with the following design: 8 holes, threads in the spacer, aluminum material? Will the engine torque pull any threads in an aluminum spacer?

Regards,

norbert
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 05:57 AM

Yes Sir! Got the adapter on Thursday.....My customer will be happy he can get his D/C shaft in this weekend!

Thanks Scott!

Sean
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 06:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

No rpoblem I am making the small pinion sides today should have them turned, milled and taped by Monday.. if you need smalls.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 07:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Hi,

thanks for all your answers. The reason for a 1 1/4" spacer is that I want to compensate that I moved the front axle forward. I need to clear the oil pan of an European Kick's 2.0l V6. I addition I have 2" lift.
I am planning to run stock axles and drive shafts until something breaks and/or I am fabbing a new suspension.
I do not want to buy a spacer as I thik fabbing your own stuff is fun.

Did you ever have bad experiences with the following design: 8 holes, threads in the spacer, aluminum material? Will the engine torque pull any threads in an aluminum spacer?

Regards,

norbert

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are doing straight through holes(SPACER) just to acomidate longer stock shaft you should not have a problem with strength, allthough you also put the joint in a better position to bind, depending on how far you move the front axle. As far as your ?? on Aluminum and threads there is only one person that is threading aluminum for a shaft (adapter) that I know off and thats me and it is patent. I do not know of 1 failure do to rotationl torque on 1 of mine as of yet. The material is 6061 and the threads are rolled instead of tapped (30%) stronger thread over the conventional tap. The standard dimension on them is 1/2" thick I have made a few special runs of 3/4" for a few people. The only reason you would thread would be to accomidate a larger flange shaft then what is physicaly larger then the t-case or pinion flange other wise just drill straight through. Most kits with a 4-5" lift use two 1/2" in the rear and a 3/4" in the front I ran that on my zuk with YJ's and 5.5" sproa with out any problems. I didnt have a prob until I went S/R then I just fabbed a longer shaft and dumped the spacer. Hope this helps some Last I would not make an a spacer 1-1/4" thick and tap it for both sides, straight drill it and you should be fine. And yes fabbing stuff you self is great the only reason I started doing this was to get a larger shaft on a zuk, I did alot of hunting and pecking around for info and no other vender at the time seamed to be interested in the design. So I ran with it and the customer base speaks for itself.. What ever you do remember one thing KIS keep it simple and it shoud work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode