O/T Telemarketer Court Ruling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

O/T Telemarketer Court Ruling

OKLAHOMA CITY - A federal judge has ruled that the Federal Trade Commission overstepped its authority in creating a national do-not-call list against telemarketers.
The ruling came in a lawsuit brought by telemarketers who challenged the list, comprised of names of people who do not want to receive business solicitation calls. The immediate impact of Tuesday's ruling was not clear.
The list was to go into effect Oct. 1.
U.S. District Judge Lee R. West sided in favor of the plaintiffs, U.S. Security, Chartered Benefit Services Inc., Global Contact Services Inc., InfoCision Management Corp. and Direct Marketing Association Inc.
The telemarketing industry estimates that the do-not-call list could cut its business in half, costing it up to $50 billion in sales each year.
More than a dozen state with do-not-call lists plan to add their lists to the national registry this summer, the FTC said.
Telemarketers would have to check the list every three months to see who doesn't want to be called. Those who call listed people could be fined up to $11,000 for each violation

I thinks we need to call/email our senators and congresspersons. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 06:12 PM

Re: O/T Telemarketer Court Ruling

the problem i see with this is now the telemarketers have a nice big list of people to call who signed up not to be called
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 06:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

It is an outrage that Freedom of Speech is being cited as an excuse to allow the telemarketing industry to invade the privacy of people who specifically request not to be harrassed by telephone solicitors.

I have been on the do not call list since it was created here and I have not had a single call from a telemarketer, vinyl siding company, credit card company, or long distance telephone provider in a few years. Before that, I got calls continuously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I remember the days when a phone call meant something, I screen all calls with the machine now.

Hello this is #@@#[email protected]#[email protected]# calling to offer....................... [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 07:21 PM

i never have requested to be on a list because i have caller id

i also useally dont answer the home phone due to a my people i know have my cell phone

also i like to answer the phone and make them hang up

the best is for long distance service it is a kodak moment

where they ask if you want long distance for sat a dime a min 24/7 and you turn it around to where they give it to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode