Driveshaft question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Driveshaft question

Since I lost half and destroyed the other half of my rear driveshaft last weekend, I'm debating on just getting another Stock samurai one or upgrading to a Toyota. Whats needed for me to install a Toy driveshaft? What year? Are rockrats adapters worth it?

Thanks,

Koko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 10:55 AM
Veteran

Re: Driveshaft question

I would raid the kitty and ante up for the yota shaft(and axles while at it) [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The rat adapters are an easy, safe way of adapting the yota shaft to the sammy flanges.If you can fab well, the adapters may not be worth it. But, they are ideal for the ones who don't have the tools or know-how to make it work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I think it come down more to me being impatient and wanted it to bolt right up [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Koko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 11:28 AM

i just got a ste of rockrat adapters i feel they are worth it and i have axcess to a lathe and mill just not the time to deal with it they are 1/2 inch thick aluminum adapters they have a bunch of threaded holes in them for various different toy shafts the only thing is i think the factory holes in the suzuki flanges need to be drilled out to a larger size but i plan on drilling a new second set of holes some shafts are the right length to start with others arent mine is too long it is from a long bed i wouldnt think that would change the front length but i dont know the right ones seem to have verry little tube length only about 3 inches the rest is cv and slip yoke
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 05:04 PM
Old Hand

I have an '81 toy front shaft with (of course) Rat adapters. I had Scott make mine 3/4" each instead of 1/2".
If you're pretty much stock, this set-up would work excellent.
I lengthened my WB in the rear by 3". I need to swap my DS for an '84-'85 because they're a couple inches longer. Mine works fine & I've never had any problems, but I'd like that extra couple inches just for piece of mind.

The adapters go on in no time, use 2 drill bits to enlarge the holes instead of doing it all at once.

Brad.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm not really stock at all, I've got a SPOA with 2 inch lift springs. So are you saying you're looking to get rid of your 81 shaft?

Koko
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 06:10 AM
Old Hand

SPOA w/ 2" springs is closer to stock than mine. You'd have no problem with the driveshaft, they have a mile of splines.

I am getting rid of mine, but to a local guy. He bought an '84 shaft and I asked if he'd swap with me. You should be able to get one at a junk yard for $75 or less.

Brad.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 06:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Front Drive Shaft
Toyota Truck MATCH UP 05153 $50 Lowell Used Auto Parts USA-MA(Lowell) E-mail 1-800-952-9775

call now, they go quick! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

nice... Thanks, I'm callin

Koko
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:34 AM
SilverZuk

Ive installed a shaft from an 82 mini truck. Fully compressed it is nearly identical length of a stock zuk shaft. Fully extended it is right at 2.0-feet long, which is about 2.0 inches longer than the zuk shaft fully extended.

If you have the large flange Samurai (post 1988) you can drill the flanges. Be warned that alignment is critical. I drilled my pinion flange on the bench and it worked perfectly. I could not measure a difference between the holes based off of three reference points all measured exactly the same with a rule.

I drilled the t-case flange under the truck big mistake, should have spent the five minutes it takes to take the flange off and do it on a bench. My holes ended up being about 1/16 off and it vibrated like crazy. So I ordered the Rockrat adapter for that end. The adapter was quick and painless. If you have the large flange, you have to drill for the small flange bolt pattern to use the adapter. If you have small flange stuff (pre 1988), its a direct bolt in. I used a small flange d-shaft I had laying around for a jig. I clamped the small flange d-shaft yoke to the large flange on the t-case end. Found the right sized bit, just stuck a hand drill into the d-shaft yoke holes and drilled it. The adapter works perfectly.

If you have large flange and feel confident that you can drill a circular pattern into the flange with tight tolerances, you don't need the adapter.

If you have small flanges, it looks like you will be giving Rockrat a call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode