Long, 2wd samurai rotary rx7 project. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Long, 2wd samurai rotary rx7 project.

Ok..
Mission statement:

Have a lowered suzuki samura that has a mazda rotary engine and transmission installed.
2wd unit, no transfer case, custom cross member for the transmission, custom rear driveshaft (I'm REALLY conserned about this, the zook has the offset rear axle?!!!), I might want the turbo rotary engine? 2~3" exhaust (I don't really want a phat silver trashcan pipe on the back..), larger radiator (I think I'll need a larger rad..), power steering?? air conditioning???

I'm thinking the mechanics (engine mount, tranny mount, fuel, exhaust, electronics, and cooling) will not be too dificult.

I've never seen a 2wd rotary conversion with out a transfer case.

I'll need to attack the rear end ratio, I'm thinking because I'll weigh 2200lbs that the stock 3.73 will be fine. Maybe a lockrite would be added into the rear for traction. Traction will be via some phat street tires (23~26" is what I'm brousing now and 12" or so wide).

Things I'll need to resolve:
Engine mounts, transmission mounts, transmission bracketry, driveshaft tech, rear gearing tech, exhaust routing, fuel delivery (probably a walborl pump if I go carbed), OIL COOLING (forgot [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), radiator tech, air conditioning tech, electronics tech (seems there'd be very little to wire.), vacuum system if I go turbo (I think they have a vacuum pump?), and my current spring/suspention (track bar, panhard bar) setup.

Ooh, I've got this tossing around. Stock rear suspention, front suspention is RUF (rear springs up front) with a 1~2" lowering block for the stock look. Normal shocks and bump stops would be installed too.

Input anyone?

I'd like to have this project done within one month and less than 1000 dollars.
Think it'll happen?
[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Long, 2wd samurai rotary rx7 project.

Or maybe a 2wd x-90 rotary setup??
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 07:13 PM

We are in the process of installing an 85 RX-7 with an automatic transmission in a Zuk now. We have all the mounts built and in place and the drive line with all drive shafts hooked up. We are in the process of addressing the radiator.

As for making a two wheel drive unit, you may want to consider using the Mazda rear end and you will get disc brakes to boot. We are considering doing a two wheel drive tin top beach cruiser after we finish this one.

If you would like to see what we have done I am just up the road from you in Palatka. Give me an email and I can tell you where our shop is.

If you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I have not researched the mazda rear much, It seems it's an odd metric 5 lug rim, I already have some phat 12" wide rims for the 5 on 5.5 axles.. Width is another concern.
You're about 100 miles away, next time I'm in the forest I'll have to swing up and see your shop! I plan on the 5 speed manual tranny though. I'm very interested to see your mounting system.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 07:59 PM

The Mazda has a four lug pattern. You can, however, get wheel adapters to use your five lug wheels.

Anytime you are up our way, get in touch and I will buy you a beer. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

$$ and my wheels already stick WAY out. I will research this option though. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
It'd prolly make the driveshaft cheaper.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 05:13 AM

What about running a completer kick rear??

Same bolt pattern as the zuk.. centered diff..
4.62's or 5.12's..
Should be easy enough to swap in, weld on some perches..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Width again.... The diff raitio would be GREAT for power!

I do not want to replace 2 or 4 rims or shave/cut an axle to fit..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 04:18 PM

I have a complete Zuk 2wd setup (front axle and t-case) if anyone needs it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Rotozuk

Nowhere,
I do not think you will pull it off on budget or on schedule. Making it a 2wd sure saves on the Asprin bill though.

I think you need to do a lot more research, and have answers for most of your questions before you start. thos little questions quickily become nightmares once you have started. Do not let these little surprises occur, do your homework before you start.

Just to point out a few issues you are going to have to deal with:
hydraulic clutch!
exhuast will be pushed right up against the stock brake and fuel lines on the inside of the frame.
Sourcing and mounting a much larger radiator. Keep in mind that you are going to try to cool and engine that is equal in displacement to a 2.6 liter, yet gives of the heat loads of a larger engine.
Turbo...? You better figure that out now. The turbo 13B (or any 2nd or 3rd gen) RX-7 engine will greatly complicate the motor mounts, and space under the hood.

For a fun runner I would stick with a nice 5 speed 12A from a first gen, and slap a nice carb or two on there. makes for a nice little package, and is rather easy to mount and get running. A fuel injected engine will be about twice the work.

If you want to see some of the photos of my 13B project, just check out the first half of my web site.
http://rz-products.com/WAYNE/UPDATES/UPDATES.HTML

Good luck.

-Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode