Damn chop saw keeps throwing breakers!!!!! AhhH! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Damn chop saw keeps throwing breakers!!!!! AhhH!

I hate this tool. Not only does it cause a mess when using it, it's loud as hell, and stinks, it also KEEPS throwing the breaker at the panel!!! I've had enough. Anyone have any ideas? It's not a great unit (King Canada brand) but it was cheap, and yup, I got what I paid for [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] But it has a 15 amp motor and ??? HP. Not sure. I know that until you get into the more powerful ones, they're all about the same. Question is: why does it keep doing this???? I don't lean into it; I just barely push down on it and when a couple seconds pass.....boom. No power. It just seems so gutless.
I don't think it needs a higher amp circuit: would that just fry the motor? Any ideas/input?

Cheers,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 07:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Damn chop saw keeps throwing breakers!!!!! AhhH!

Is the circuit dedicated exclusively to the chop saw or are there other circuits that run off the breaker?

If you have other loads on that circuit, the 15 amps that the chop saw draws plus the addition loads would cause the breaker to trip (assuming that it's a 20a breaker)........
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Unfortunately , those chop saws can do that on a lot of houses/shops . Check the wiring , and see if it is 14ga and the breakers are 15amp . If that's the case , you are trying to use the entire circuit's capability up all at once hence the breaker going off . That thing needs to be on a 12ga/ 20 amp circuit or you'll never win . Also, if you use a drop cord smaller than 12ga you're going to have the same problem as well .....
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yep, I agree on Sarge's post. You might want to run a 10 gauge outlet in the garage for multiple high power tools. The only extention cord that will work with my 110 welder is 50' long and 10 gauge, you gotta over power the outlets, they should never be your weak link.

What happens is you get a voltage drop from the breaker pannel to the motor, that inturn raises the amperage, therefore it trips the breaker. With a heavy gauge wire, there's very little drop, you get max power at the outlet with very little problems.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:40 AM

yeap it my turn now

first off the 15amp chop saw is running with out a load.
when you add the load the amps go up

i have a ridgid from home depot it is 15amps i did an amp test and under no load it gets about 6 1/2 draw and under a load it will go up as high as 45 amps yes i'm for real 45 amps. the breaks in the homes that trip have to heat up then trip thats why you can over use them for a lil'bit.
i use it on a 20 amp circut and a 100' drop cord and it does get warm after a bit. if i plug it up to my 6 way first which has a 15amp circut braker on it it will trip because of the draw.
just use it with the proper size blade and a min. 20 amp circut with the shortest drop cord as possiable

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Skip

Re: Damn chop saw keeps throwing breakers!!!!! Ahh

Everything that has been said above is true. Plus as a circut breaker pops it arcs and wears. This causes the breaker to become weaker. Replace it with a 20 amp. It will fit in the same spot aas a 15. Don't use an extension cord. If you must, use at least a 10 gauge construction extension cord. Keep it as short as possible. When I wired my shop area I used 10 gauge wire instead of 12 and no longer have any of these problems.
Point of interest, a 15 amp motor will draw 125% on startup and can draw the mentioned 45 under load.
Electrical loads are one of my specialties
Good luck [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Pooh-Bah

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Replace it with a 20 amp. It will fit in the same spot aas a 15

[/ QUOTE ]

It can fit, but contious use, or just long enough use at higher then recomended amps for that wire will cause other problems .. like the wire heating up and possibly causing a fire .. if you have a 15A replace it with a 15A .. it was a 15A breaker for a reason
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Electrical loads are one of my specialties

[/ QUOTE ]
With the answer above, that surprises me. espically when reccomending that and not knowing the current state of the house wiring .. age, type of wiring aluminum or copper, how many other objects that are on that line ..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:21 AM

sorry to differ but you cant just change a breaker [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
because the electrical codes require some specs
you can over size the wire but not the breaker
15amp is for 14 ga
20amp is for 12 ga
30amp is for 10 ga
40amp is for 8 ga
50amp is for 6 ga

so with this said if you change to a 20amp breaker please make sure the wire is big enough
and you can bigger wire for amp draw and voltage loss
i have a swimming pool that is a 15 amp circut but it is 200 foot from the house due to distance and the amp draw i ran a 20amp circut with a gfic plug for water and i used 10ga wire. the 12 ga sj wire i used (all one run) would stay warm so i went another size bigger and no heat now
the heat will break down the properties of the copper wire and could make for a major fire hazzard in the future

one again always over do things the first time so it wont cost you more money in the future in repairs or replacing
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:23 AM

DougO

you type faster than me
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:53 AM

Yes to most of the above posts.

If your wire is 12 Ga or better AND not too long a run, you can swap the beraker with a 20.

one last Item I didn't see: Is the receptical a 15 or 20? a 20 can take a std 15 amp plug, but
will also have one leg able to accept a blade 90 deg from the usual plug blade. these recepticals
are made with stronger contacts (as you will discover when you try to plug something in).

An undersized receptical can make a mockery of all your other wireing. Spend the 5 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode