Need Help Will Pay $$$! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 03:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Help Will Pay $$$!

Greetings,

I need some help adjusting the valve lash and setting the timing on my 1.3L 87 Samurai.

I attempted to adjust the valve lash last night and realized I didn't quite understand how so I gave up.

Well in order to adjust the valve lash I had to remove the valve cover and to get the valve cover off I had to remove the distributer.

Here's my delima:

I put everything back together and now the darn thing will not start. I belive I have the timing off.

ANYONE IN THE DETROIT METRO AREA that is willing to help and get paid please contact me at [email protected] What I am asking from you is you first and foremost get my Samurai running again. Then ultimately I want you to teach me how to perform this myself.

Thanks to all. (price is negotiable)

USMCZook (Jay)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:11 PM

Re: Need Help Will Pay $$$!

Your on the right track it is probably the timing.
Timing is VERY easy to set as long as you have the right tool. go to your local auto parts store, tell them your problem, and buy a timing gun (light). It is very simple to use, the guys there will show you and it will cost much less than if you paid someone to do it.

Get a Haynes, Chilton or FSManual while you are there it will save you time & $$$ in the long run.

Timing adjustment is easier than changing your own oil.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 08:23 PM

Its a little tricky but you can remove the valve cover without removing the distributer [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:56 PM
wolfie

Did the valves on my 88.5 sammi, and the valve cover
wiggles off no problem with out pulling the distributer.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 10:17 PM
zukiman

Removing the valve cover without removing the distributor is a piece of cake....

It's removing the distributor without removing the valve cover that takes skills. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-- Geoff Beasley
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 01:49 AM

OK it's late and I may screw this up, but if I do, I'm sure someone will correct me... LOL

What you have probably done is not got the dist back in clocked correctly. This is NOT difficult
to do, but also not difficult to fix.

Pop the #1 plug. Use a small screw driver handle. or your thumb if you can reach it, and cover the plug hole.

Turn it over in spurts, until you get a puff of pressure comming out, and stop.

you should be at or near #1 TDC (top dead center.)

Using the timing marks, get it exactly on TDC. Move the crank by hand, forward or back, or going roughly
2 full crank revoulutions to find it, no matter.

Now check your rotor in the disty. It should be pointing almost exactly at the #1 wire, and its probably not.

This is where you probably got it whacked. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

Mark the dist housing for #1 wire position. Pop the disty out untill the gear disengages.

Turn the rotor until it points at #1. The gear has 13 teeth on a bevel cut, and its rotational engagement
is about 1 tooth, so you have to go about 27 deg CW past where you think you need to be, then push it
back in. Oh yeah, have the dist housing adjuster slot about centered while you do this dance, so you can
have full sdjustment.

You should be close enough to fire. Snug the dist down and test fire it. If it starts back firing thru the
carb, your 360 out on the crank for TDC.

Pop the dist and turn it 180 and go back in. don't forget that 1 tooth of so of engagement.

Once its running, set the timing using the flywheel markings thru the bell housing port on the drivers side.
It's more accurate.

You should be done...

Don't forget to mark TDC and #1 next time before adjusting valves! [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

BTW if you were following the hanes, Its got errors in it for this so don't feel like you were at fault. The
book is wrong I'm told...

[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pooh Bah,

Thanks for all the info. I finally had time to work on my zook and I have her running again. It was as easy as you described. I still have'nt mastered the art of removing the valve cover with the distributor still in but all in good time.

Thanks again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 01:36 PM

Pooh Bah? LOL!

Never been called that except by the BBS title, Just struck me funny...

Glad it worked for you. It's nice to get feedback once in a while that something worked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode