rough idle when engine gets hot - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:44 PM
slozuki

rough idle when engine gets hot

hi all, could any of you guys give me some input on a rough idle condition when the engine gets hot? its kinda odd, it runs smooth as glass when cold, and as soon as it starts warming up good it starts missing some (kinda bad, but it still runs without stalling) I've checked the timing, its spot on, I looked the vacuum lines over and they all seem to be in place and in good shape, I replaced the pcv valve and the spark plugs. this kinda started all of a sudden about three or four days ago. any input is greatly appreciated! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 09:18 PM

Re: rough idle when engine gets hot

Maybe your cat is stopped up.....check and see if it is getting good flow out the tailpipe when it does it.

May not have anything to do with it but is just a thought
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 06:07 AM

Slo - have you adjusted the choke pull-off lever? Mine was way out of adjustment, made a big difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Alfie

Valve clearances maybe?
Alf
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 09:52 PM
slozuki

thanks for the replies, I am going to take a closer look at this tomorrow morning and was trying to get a few ideas first. I also tested the hot idle compensator but it turned out to be good. I have another stock carb that came with the sammy when I bought it. the guy told me its a pep boys reman., it looks brand new. I'll let you guys know if I find anything. see ya
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 05:12 AM

Slo - once it's warm look down the carb throat..if the choke plate isn't opened up fully that's at least part of the problem.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Very possibly, my old carb did that, granted, I had a bad engine though. Something to try, when the engine is up to normal operating temp, take the air cleaner off the carb and jam a stick in the choke linkages to force the choke plate open. Make sure not to FORCE/break something in there. A piece of rubber fuel hose might work too?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 05:21 PM
slozuki

thanks for the replies everyone, the choke on that carb worked awesome, step it down once, fired right up on fast idle and as the engine got warm slowly opened the choke until it was fully open. how well the choke worked on that carb actually impressed me for the amount of miles that are on it. I think the cat is alright southpawz, it runs great everywhere else accept for idling when its hot. the way this thing was acting I really thought it was a carburetion problem. turns out, not so. or at least I don't think so. lol. saturday morning I put the spare carb on it that I had, and while the engine now definately runs smoother with more zip, I could not get it to smoothly idle below 1100 rpm with the newer (pep boys rebuild) carb. while 1100 seems a little high it really doensn't sound to the ear like its too high. I think they are supposed to idle around 800. so... its on to plan b. I think I'll do what I should have done first and like alfie said and adjust the valves. if that doesn't help I think I have a spare distributor that I'm gonna try. probably wouldn't hurt to check the compression also. and if nothing works, I can live with the slightly high idle, or rip it out and put in a 1.6. lol. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode