Why am I having to double pump my brakes ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Why am I having to double pump my brakes ?

In getting everything ready to evacuate I have discovered that after sitting the last month or so I now have to double pump the brakes to get a good pedal . Initially I thought it was the proportioning valve going out on me like it did on my other zuk . But I inspected it and nothing ...no leaks . I checked my brakelines and they look fine too . Last but not least the fluid looks good and it was almost to the full line .How famous are the zuks for the booster going bad ? I can drive it as the brakes work fine with a double pump but I would like to get it to work right .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Why am I having to double pump my brakes ?

Sounds like air after replacing the rear shoes on the Rat last summer about a wk after the fact the pedal had to be pumped to stop, After changing the booster same prob, then I bleed the brakes with vaccumm bleader now they are fine..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:48 AM

I have the same problem with my brakes too. I was just driving around one day and came to a set of lights and went to stop and the peddle almost went to the floor, so I pumped it and it went back up and I stopped. It's been like this for a few days now. If I don't pump it up it will still stop but it just doesn't feel right. I have no loss of brake fluid. I was thinking that mabey the master cylinder is on it's way out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Could be the same reason they eat "refried" beans in Mexico. Hope ya find the humor! LOL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>3 [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:02 AM

Having to pump the brakes is related to one of two things. Air in the system, or brakes out of adjustment.

Fixing the air is getting them bled properly.

The adjustment is usually the rear shoes having too much slack. If your E brake actuates the rear shoes,
(mine doesn't SJ410...) try pulling the E brake up part way. Does it get better? Its the rear then.

If its not the rear, loose front wheel berings, or rotors with too much side to side runnout can cause the
calipers to open up, requireing the double pump to close.

Pet peeve guys and gals. If nothing else is up to snuff on your rig, make sure the brakes are. Its your life
were talking about, and possibly others... Possibly your loved ones.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree on the air in the lines. The brake ummmm, acctuator (the thing with the brake fluid!) has kinna like an emergency front only line so if the back falls off or is drained of fluid the front will still work, it's only like the last 1/2 inch of the pedal travel though.

The rear cylinders prolly have air in them. Invest in an air bleader or take it to a shop. Your rears are prolly leaking a little bit.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

IIF is your back brakes that seams to be the problem and
IF you have good shoes in the rear and
IF the adjuster works properly and
IF it looks like you have air in the rear lines here is what I do...
I take the drums off the rear and clamp either the shoes or the wheel cylinder itself so the pistons are all the way in and bleed it like that. The biggest bobo I find with the wheel cylinder being on an angle like the Zuks, is the air stays trapped at the top of the cylinder and will not come out! I have had great success with this method. and do it all the time.
Make sure that the cclamping device is well placed and secure.....
My 2cents (Canadian)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

IF it's your back brakes that seams to be the problem and
IF you have good shoes in the rear and
IF the adjuster works properly and
IF it looks like you have air in the rear lines here is what I do...
I take the drums off the rear and clamp either the shoes or the wheel cylinder itself so the pistons are all the way in and bleed it like that. The biggest bobo I find with the wheel cylinder being on an angle like the Zuks, is the air stays trapped at the top of the cylinder and will not come out! I have had great success with this method. and do it all the time.
Make sure that the cclamping device is well placed and secure.....
My 2cents (Canadian)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode