First Flop - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

First Flop

Well what a weekend! I actually went out wheelin, TWICE!! It was so nice to wheel and not wrench!! But now that I have wheeled it a bit, It needs some wrenchin!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] On saturday I guess about 2 hours into the madness my clutch got a "little warm" so home we went. On Sunday we went back out and the clutch seemed fine. Then it happened. Was in a deep ravine and next thing I know there I was over on the pass side [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] It was actually pretty funny to see it over on its side like that. 2 guys and some grunting and we had her righted. Too bad we didn't have the camera on Sunday [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Anyway I guess all the worries are over, it has officially been rolled over. Glad the damage was just a few scratches [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: First Flop

Cool now you and Brad are both official members of the Rock 4X rubber up club LOL
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:12 AM

Thats a club I am not a member of yet ...and I am not in a hurry to join either! Art I am glad you and the zuk came through with minor scratches . Great pic too .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:17 AM

Cooli-o- Art,

It is good to see you got out and finally done some wheeling there bud. I know you couldn't wait either. Is the clutch still doing fine though? Doesn't look like you got bit to bad on the roll.

Can't wait to get out there with ya and get my stamp from Scott for the [rubber-up] club LOL !!!

Ummmmm?? Wait.........that would be scary without a roll bar huh? Maybe I will pass on the rolling part for now. LOL. I will just wheel.

Good Wheelin,

David
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:18 AM
Old Hand

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaawwwwwwwww!!!

Ain't it too fun?

Easy lay-overs are the name of the game, it's the 3,4,5,6........barrel rolls that ain't cool.

Tuck & grab.

Brad.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 12:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Brad... rolling can be fun... but my last roll was doorless and into a laurel bush twice the size of my rig. I smelled great...thats about it! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 01:44 PM
SilverZuk

Welcome to the rubber up club.
Now that you got the first one out of the way, you need to come up and wheel with me.

Going over on your side usually isn’t too bad unless it’s off a ledge or steep hill.
When you get over on your lid, and when you keep going is when it sucks.
It goes from “no big deal, pose for some pics” to “oh @#$%, are you alright and spending the next hour picking up the yard sale that you left scattered down the trail and refilling fluids and tending to the wounded.

I was an unbelted passenger the first time I rolled over. My buddy was driving my rig down a service road, low speed, got crossed up on the hill, ran up on the bank and over we went. I hung on to the dash bar for dear life. As I saw the ground coming I covered my head with my right arm. When we hit, my arm went through the glass and hit the ground. I thought “that wasn’t bad” and I felt the ground leave my arm “Uh oh”. I strained myself hanging on until we stopped on the drivers side wheels facing up hill. It was pretty violent, smashed the windshield down to about 8-inches in the lowest spot, and folded the top of the doors down. We had to crawl out the wind shield hole on the driver’s side. I was cut from my arm going through the glass, but we were ok. The next day my abdomen was sore from straining. The top was on, and most stuff strapped in – so the clean up wasn’t too bad. It damaged every panel on the rig, knocked the motor out of the motor mount, crushed the tub on the passenger’s side. We used a cable hoist to pull it back over, checked the fluids and drove about 5-miles back to the house. You would think I would have learned about the seat belts.

I was getting lax about wearing a belt this year. The trail was in a rocky hollow, not much side hill or off camber. If anyone ever did roll over it would probably be a minor flop. Well, I put it on its lid with my wife in it and neither one of us belted in. The trail head had washed out since the last time I ran the trail, and as I dropped over the bank with my blind side right front first, I thought “this doesn’t feel right” as I started to slide and reach for reverse, I told my wife “Hang on, we’re going over”. Luckily the front bumper hung us upside down before impacting on the roof. Both of us were ok, but I now wear my lap belt at all times, and my shoulder harness when in the bad stuff. Most roll over happen where you least expect them. If you expected them, you would stop before it happened.

Rules to roll overs:
Wear your belts at all times. (even on the weenie trails and service roads
Have your tools/equipment secured (walking around at night bleeding using a mini mag light to pick up your junk is no fun)
Have your passengers trained to hang on and cover up
Hang on and enjoy the ride.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:06 PM
Veteran

Cool! Gawd I'd love to be out rolling my Zuk right now. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:37 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
, it has officially been rolled over

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry dude, but a flop is not a roll.

I have had my fair share of both. You have a little further to go [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Let's see...working on my 5th flop on the drivers side, and 3rd on the passenger side. I've had it on it's nose a couple of times as well, but not on it's lid yet (not that I'm complaining)...lol
For some reasion, my wife hates it when I flop it over on her side.....lol!
But, I ALMOST had a nasty endo at ZookiMelt this year comming down a hill with a wash in the middle. I was trying my best to straddle the rut when my Passenger side front tired dropped in the rut and up came the a$$ end...after feeling (and seeing) the front bumper touch the ground and screaming at my wife to hang on, I let off the brake and safely put it back down on all 4's and rolled down the hill..thankfully the only think we had to pick up that day was the seat foam from out our rears!!! [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode