Man, Why does everything good happen to me at once - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Man, Why does everything good happen to me at once

Friday morning before work the wife informed me that we had enough extra for me to go ahead and order my clutch and SPOA kit. I was a happy camper. As the day progressed, things got even better. Presently, I work in a local salvage yard while looking for work in the IT field. We are in the process of getting ready for the crusher and we are sorting out cars to take out of inventory to make room for better stuff. Well, to make a long story short, the vehicle that I have had my eye on for a while is on that list. When I asked about it, I was told to take the rollback home next week and carry it with me. Would you believe that they gave me a 99 2 wheel drive Chevrolet Tracker with a 1.6 and 57,000 miles? Now, I am even happier (I guess you can understand this). Today comes the bitter sweet part. I get an IT job offer about two miles from my house. Twice the money, half the hours, and 28 minutes shorter drive each way. But if I take the job, they may not let me have the truck. Decisions Decisions... [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 07:58 PM

Re: Man, Why does everything good happen to me at once

either put it off a week
or pay for the truck
if you will be making 2x the money

tell them that you need to give them a 2 week notice and then only give them one or none

it sound kinda dirty and i have always been told not to burn bridges, but if they had to lay you off they would not give you a 2 week notice it would be dont come back in the morn. have a nice day

do what you need to do is what i say
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Hey GA_ZUKI,
How did your buddy come out on his S10 4.3 project?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:27 PM

Re: Man, Why does everything good happen to me at

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
tell them that you need to give them a 2 week notice and then only give them one or none

it sound kinda dirty and i have always been told not to burn bridges, but if they had to lay you off they would not give you a 2 week notice it would be dont come back in the morn. have a nice day

[/ QUOTE ]

Always wondered why it's OK to "fire" a job but not to get fired [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

There's a reason for no 2 week notices before layoffs or terminations..figure it out. EG: A plant closed here a couple years ago..the workers trashed the equipment between the announcement and the closing. A year later they wanted to reopen because of new work..guess what..damage so extensive they couldn't afford to fix it. SMART

I had to "let go" an employee last week that's been with me for almost 11 years for handling a customer very badly. Lost 30% of my workforce. It sucks.

Back to your problem........do what your concience tells you to do. I'd probably tell them I got a job offer in my field but I'd really like the car and offer to buy it. If it works out all is good, if it doesn't forget about it. Go to your new job with good vibes!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:36 PM

Be up front and honest about it with your current boss. I'm sure he knows you've been looking for something in your prefered field and shouldn't be surprised when you tell him you found something. Tell him about the job offer, and why you're taking it, when you give him your notice. Bring up the subject of the Tracker and ask him if the offer still stands. If not, offer him the scrap value since he was scraping it anyway and see if he will take payments. Let the new job know you have to give notice to your current employer before you can start. As a former IT manager I was never comfortable with someone that just left their previous employer without notice. Showed a definate lack of professionalizm and respect for their employer. Just my two cents. Good luck with the new position.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:05 PM

i gave him all the info

he does not know what he is going to do

i wish i had the money

to bad you could not spot it for me

if you can i would gladely be thankful
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:15 PM

Re: Man, Why does everything good happen to me at

when i left my last job i told the new company that wanted me to start the next day that i was always taught to respect and leave the other company on good standings
and i needed to work out a 2 week notice but wanted to know if they let me go on the spot that i could work the next day they said yes and respected me for my wishes. but i worked both jobs for 2 weeks 5am to 3pm and them 3:30pm to 8pm

if it is a very good thing and you went in and told your boss what was going on i really think he would understand

sometimes you just have to pickup and leave
also it is veryhard to have to let people go
i hate that the most about a job if they are sorry it's not that bad but if they work real good then you start thinking about their faimly and how they are going to pay the bills
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode