weld or locker in front - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 07:22 PM
tracker92

weld or locker in front

should i buy a locker for the front from calmini or just weld mine, i just using mine is summer and taking off road occ., i have manual hubs, its on a 92 geo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:01 PM

Re: weld or locker in front

this will get everyone going again but

put a locker in the rear
dont weld nothing i'm cheap but not that cheap
if it braeks it will mess up more than if it was done right the first time
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Veteran

if you have an endless supply of front diff housings, weld it. Lockers arent available for the front of a track/kick unless you up to an ARB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Old Hand

Welcome.

It would help if we could know about where you live & your driving habits.

There is a clicky called "SEARCH". If you would hit this & type in "front locker" you'd end up with lots of posts covering this subject. As a matter of fact there's a post on page 2 covering this very subject.

It all boils down to you...........

Are you a cheap azz (like me)?-------------WELD IT & learn to drive it.

OR, buy a locker & install it & learn to drive it.

Depends on what you want. There is no "correct" answer to this question.

Brad.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:41 PM
BoOstedZooK

Assuming a tracker front diff is similar in design to the samurai, where you have 4 gears on crosspins, I would say weld it up and get your power steering, alot cheaper and if your running stocker type parts then itll be fine. I wouldnt waste money on a locker for an axle this small unless you want to drive it on the road alot and plan to keep it.....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:47 AM
tracker92

i am going to just drive it in the spring, summer and fall, on and off road. probably more on road than anything
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

Locker, plain and simple.....Do not......Do not, weld it
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 01:06 PM
SilverZuk

Buy a locker, but make sure the rear is locked first.

Welding a differential is a cheap way to get traction. I have seen many break, and also collateral damage from welded difs. (twisted axles)

To keep a welded dif from breaking you essentially have to fill the carrier with weld. Welding the side gears to the case and “fozzy lockers” always seem to fail within a few months.

I wheel with a bunch of poor boys, myself included. They weld the rears, and put a locker up front. Only a few have tried welding the front, and it was a big joke the time or two that they used it and couldn’t turn around in a 10-acre field.

Most that welded the rears say “the next time this breaks – I’m going to get a locker.”
The only one’s that don’t complain about their spools and welded rears are the one’s that see very little or no street use.

The tracker front dif is not know for strength due to the aluminum case, however it is essentially the same as a samurai differential with different side gears. I would be very reluctant to do anything that would result in more stress on the differential and housing.

Welded rear end – not good, but acceptable in some cases.
Welded front end – bad, anyway you look at it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you're goinfg to have problems either way. the tracker/kick fornt axle is weak as it is, so if you install a locker or weld it, you're really going to grenade it. I've blown mine up afew times, so then I was thinking about ordering the anvil from Calmini. Right around that time the S.A.S. prototype popped up on the forum and I decided to wait. I'm sick of breaking the front diff, it makes the truck unreliable when you're way put in the bush.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:18 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Most that welded the rears say &amp;#8220;the next time this breaks &amp;#8211; I&amp;#8217;m going to get a locker.&amp;#8221;
The only one&amp;#8217;s that don&amp;#8217;t complain about their spools and welded rears are the one&amp;#8217;s that see very little or no street use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not one fo those.

I welded my rear spiders and used it as a daily driver for a few months. It wasnt bad at all. Obviously not as smooth as open, but ya have to give up something.

Granted, I was on 30s. But as anyone that knows me would tell ya, I am hard on rigs.

I also welded the rear in my toyota with 36s and a V8 and had no problems. Now I have a welded rear with 39s, dual cases and turbo.

I tried welding the front once. NEVER AGAIN!!!! It worked sweet til about half way through the first trail and I broke a birf just turning around. Then another birf about 200' down the trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode