transfer case vibration? long.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

transfer case vibration? long..

88, stock transfer case gears, 5.13 r+p, 5" Calmini SR lift, new motor and transmission mounts, cv DS in the rear with 2* shims to angle pinion up to xfer case,

Both arms on the xfer case look straight to me and all the rubber mounts seem alright. I can barely budge the xfer case when laying underneath the vehicle and pushing up on it.

I thought maybe the intermediate shaft? So today I had 2 new u-joints put in it. After replacing the u-joints in the intermediate shaft the vibration got a little worse [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

The vibration is the worst in 2nd gear, and less noticeable the faster it is driven. clutch in or out, accelerating or decelerating the vibration is there.

1. When viewing the xfer case from the side, should the front pinion sit a litte bit higher than the back? I dont think it should matter runnin a cv in the rear!

I plan on getting a beefier xfer case mount, but need to get rid of the vibration, not just mask the problem..

The vibes have gotten worse over the past couple months, all parts mentioned above have been replaced after the lift was put on. CV DS went on after the lift (stock DS was way to angled with this lift). motor mounts were next (definitely needed), helped w\some of the vibes, trans mount was next (no noticeable diff.)

Just gettin tired of replacing parts and not correcting the issue.

Please heelp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 03:36 PM

Re: transfer case vibration? long..

You memtioned using a 2* shim in the rear to point the pinion up. This sounds short to me. with a 5" lift,
The angle change is somrething like 10-11 degrees I think. Is the pinion axis in line with the driveshaft?
It should be.

Also is you go thru the gears the axle twist will increase the angle between the DS and pinion. The lower gears
will pull it to a steeper angle as there is more torque to do it with. This appears to match your symptoms.
This is assuming your not running a track bar of course.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 04:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What about axle wrap...got a anti-wrap bar on it? might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

The pinion isn't right on, but its looks pretty close (I assumed close enough), when I switched to the cv it got rid of 80% of the vibes, but there was still a little vibe specially in 2nd.
Funny you both mention axle wrap, I have a welded rear and when I take sharp turns on pavement my back axle moves all over the place, lots of squeeks and groans, I took it all apart not long ago and regreased all my bushings, recently replaced the rear bearings, it helped some of the noise, but literally after a sharp turn if I dont have 10-15 feet to drive straight, my zuk may sit as far as 6-7" higher on one side than the other and the tire that is on the inside of the turn will be closer to the front edge of the wheelwell...

thanks for the help, I will try get the pinion angle closer, springs may have settled some since new.

Any idea why its shakin more after the Int shaft joints were replaced?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Old Hand

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
but literally after a sharp turn if I dont have 10-15 feet to drive straight, my zuk may sit as far as 6-7" higher on one side than the other and the tire that is on the inside of the turn will be closer to the front edge of the wheelwell...

[/ QUOTE ]

I ain't claiming to be no scientist, but it seems to me that THIS just might be your problem. I've never seen one do this &amp; everybody I ride with (including myself) has welded rears.
What type of suspension set-up do you have in the rear? I'd be checking your locating pins, u-bolts, spring bushings, something is very wrong here.

Brad.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

blurry pic but a pic of the DS andgle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1187060-DSangle.jpg (57.9 KB, 23 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

and heres a pic of my body roll after a sharp turn into my driveway, if I were to have stayed in the vehicle with torque applied to the drivetrain it would be tilted a bit more

My suspension setup is I have the lift springs that came with the Calmini lift and their shackles. No drop shackles. A welded rearend with 5.13 r+p's, and 32 11.5 tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1187063-leanin.jpg (50.8 KB, 24 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Old Hand

Angle looks OK to me. That's about what I have w/ 9" of lift. It's the walking of the rear that I'd be worried about. It's one thing to flex, but not on pavement. I've got 33" boggers &amp; CJs in the rear, welded. I normally try not to turn so sharp on the pavement, but even if I do, it doesn't walk like that. I'm pretty sure the CJs would be softer than the lifted Calminis.

I'd do a pretty good run-over of the rear-end, checking everything to make sure it's tight.

Get somene to take off in it while you watch the rear. If the pinion points up too much that'd be your problem. Solved by an anti-wrap kit.

Brad.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That sounds rather similar to a bad engine mount. Bad vibes under high torque (1,2, maybe 3rd gear) situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode