DAMN the race fans - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

DAMN the race fans

I dont know if anybody here has ever been to bristol motor speedway but its smackdab right in the middle of town. Theres 200,000 people here that are not normally here. (nope not exaggerating, im actually downplaying it). If you have or if you live in a race town you know what im talkin about.

Traffic freakin SUCKS. Hell its illegal (got a ticket for it) to turn left out of MY subdivision for 4 or 5 hours after the race. All so they can get the race fans out of here in a "timely manner". Bristol built a 30+ plus mile stretch of 4 lane about 6 years ago specifically for race fans. It only took them 6 months to build it. And that included movin a mountain side. You tell me another city that has built that big of road thru a mountain in that short of time. The commisioner or whatever he is of Nascar said we are the only city that does what we do for the fans.

BMS is the 3rd largest sporting facility in the U.S.A. and we have to deal with it. A 15 minute drive now takes at least 45 minutes. And i got it done in that time cuz i dropped the samurai down in the median and floored it or it prolly would have been alot longer.

I used to enjoy the race fans but its gotten insane the past few years. Ill have to take some pics and post to show you what im talkin about.

I apologize for the long post but i had to vent and nobody is home and i didnt feel like talkin to myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 10:59 PM

Re: DAMN the race fans

I was at Bristol 4 or 5 years ago (sorry [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]). We saw the one way signs out front of the track in the afternoon. We parked on a backroad over the hill where all campers are, I guess we used that 4 lane to get back to Abingdon to the motel after the race. You're right, a LOT of people and cars in a small space.

You might as well either leave for the race weekends or park cars in the yard and make money off of it [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

It was an awesome show for sure though. I've since grown up and now and am into Zukes now [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

An update on freakin bad it is. My girlfriend left at 9:25 its now 10:23 ands she is still probably 20 minutes from home. That means it will have taken her at least an hour and 20 minutes to get home. It usually takes 30 minutes tops and thats drivin under the speed limit cuz the cops are real bad on one stretch of the road.

About parkin cars the city had to get there hand in that too. You have to have: a parking permit, if you let people camp you have to have a camping permit also, you have to have a set number of port o jons per number of people you will be parking/camping, and you have to have a business license. Oh yea you also have to pay taxes AND your property tax will probably go up cuz your land is worth more since you can use is for sumthin else. All told you will spend at least a 50 bucks jus to make the first penny.

I used to haul people to there cars to make a few bucks but now you have to have a special license and pay for some special permit or get fined like a thousand bucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 12:30 AM

You're bitchin'? I live 1.5 miles from the major highway to the beach for ALL of Metropolitan Washington DC and Baltimore. To make matter's worse, there a toll bridge there. On any given Friday between noon and 8pm approximately 300,000 people pass by my house on the way to the beach. Saturday's just as bad too. Backups typically range from 6 to 15 miles on a 4 lane highway EVERY summer weekend. I've taken to driving on the shoulder to get around these Bozos. Fortunately, for the most part, the cops are pretty gentle to the locals.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 01:40 AM
zukiman

Hah, you think that's bad?

I live 11 miles from work. When I drive to work on Saturdays when there's no commute traffic, it takes me about 15 minutes. The problem is that during the weekday, all 12 lanes of highway have to merge down to 6 lanes through a 1-mile-long tunnel. If the idiots happen to get lucky during their merging and then navigate through the tunnel unscathed, they slow down traffic enough that it takes me 1/2-hour to get to work. No big deal.

But when one of those idiots decides to get into a wreck (of course it usually is IN one of the tunnels) then the highway comes to a literal stop. Basically, nobody moves until they get a wrecking crew to haul the cars/trucks out of the tunnel and get the mess cleaned up. I've sat, STUCK in traffic with cars all around me, unable to even get myself onto the shoulder, for 2 hours.

Luckily, from my house I can see wayyyy down the hill to the highway, so I know ahead of time when the freeway is a parking lot. I can take the back roads up and over the mountain and it'll only take me about 45 minutes to get to work.

Why was metropolitan San Francisco built where it was? Wherever we go, we're choked by traffic at toll booths for our 9 bridges across the bay, our numerous tunnels through the mountains, and countless idiot drivers who seem to be better at getting into wrecks than avoiding wrecks. *sigh*

-- Geoff Beasley
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 07:45 AM

Im with you capn. Traffic in the Wash metro area is awful.
Oh, and dont let one drop of rain fall becuase thats it. Not to mention some of the worst drivers in the US are right here in dc.

kama [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hah! Traffic is so bad around here it takes at least 10 minutes to go 10 miles . Sometimes you can make it in 9 1/2 , but you'll have to watch out for farmers watchin their corn grow . Hop on the local Interstate 80 near me and it's like a drag race , although this area is known for busting out of state drug traffic at a pretty regular rate . Evidently, they hit Bureau County and turn stupid , parking on the shoulder and driving Ryder trucks 85 mph . Bad traffic days around here consist of some local farmer and his combine going 15mph , although meeting one of those 22' wide things at nite with no flashing lights is interesting at least . Not much work here , but not a whole lotta traffic either ........
Sarge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 10:34 AM

I hear you Sarg! I have NO desire to live in a Metro area. I live in a town of about 6K which is also the county seat and the largest town in the county. It takes me about three minutes to drive to work, but I usually walk and it takes me about 35 minutes walking time. When I look around me from any direction all I see is mountains with 15K foot Mt. Shasta dominating the landscape.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ha, I understand the traffic thing, I live about 3 miles from work, average comute time is about 25 minutes.

In the evening running red lights and squeeling the tires, it can be had in about 8 minutes.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Pooh-Bah

You realize, that was just the CTS (Craftsman Truck Series) last night.
You've still got the Busch race tonight, and Winston Cup tomorrow night. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Cripes, you all should get free tickets to the race for puting up with all the traffic.

Better yet, the suggestion of parking for $$ in your yard doesn't sound so bad. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Sorry, had to reply. Big NASCAR fan. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode