Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Suzuki GEO All (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/)
-   -   Fitting 35" tires (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/174380-fitting-35%22-tires.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 08-18-2003 01:37 PM

Fitting 35\" tires

Yippee... Well, one of the major benefits to being part of a larger organization is that when they have events they tend to give out cool prizes, and other clubs also give out cool prizes.

Over the past weekend I won a set of 4 35x12.5/15" Mickey Thompson Baja Radials. These will be going on the Samurai over the next couple of months.

So, my question, will a switch to YJ leaves and a spring over do the job in terms of space and articulation??

rockrat 08-18-2003 03:24 PM

Re: Fitting 35\" tires

Acompanied by a body lift and rearched Yjs and a sawzall yes

zuk88 08-18-2003 04:01 PM

35" MT Bajas will only measure out to 33" if I'm not mistaken, I remember measuring a set at a raffle a few years ago and was suprised they look so small.

rollerskate 08-18-2003 04:08 PM

You'll need to do some serious work around the fender wells
to fit 35's.Either that or jack up the vehicle so high that
it becomes unstable.Also,some axles that can stand up to
those big tires will be required.You might consider trading
for some smaller meats.

**DONOTDELETE** 08-18-2003 04:39 PM

Fenderwell cutting, no problem, have already started that with the 33" TSL radials I have. I've been waiting to finalize the suspension before I complete the body work. As it stands with 33" tires and a 4 inch lift, I have some minor rubbing in the back and some in the front while turning the tire.

With the YJ conversion I was planning on moving the front axle forward an inch. For the rear I haven't decided exactly what I'll do, but my first thoughts were to mount the YJ in the stock location and extend the frame to give a longer wheel base. Or I might just move it back an inch, and use one of the commercially available kits.

Also need to remount the fuel tank, but that's a requirement now anyway, the 33's are rubbing against the fuel filler hose on the passenger side.

Bigger axles, definetly something I want to do after I get the suspension setup. I've been doing fine with the stock axles, 4.57 gears, stock t-case and a rear locker so far. I try to use the least amount of throttle to get past an obstacle...

Most of the trails I go on with the Sammy are hilly and muddy. I tend to just break things on the rocks (like the rear diff getting a hole punched in it at the ZukiMelt, and then the JB Weld patch getting scrapped off this past weekend, or like a couple weeks before when I snapped the bolts holding the u-bolt straps on in my Cherokee. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

**DONOTDELETE** 08-18-2003 04:58 PM

One other question, what would be the recommended wheel width and backspacing for these tires. I've got 8 inch wheels now, with 33x10.5 TSLs.

studlybil03 08-18-2003 05:19 PM

another crazy thing to consider is when tires air up they expand ( of course lol), I think I recall a person telling me thats why they build tires an inch to a half inch smaller because they expand when they are aired up?.... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

SilverZuk 08-19-2003 12:34 PM

Baja's run small
fully aired up their 35 is around 33" tall.
To run a 35 you need to move the front axle forward. The farther the better. A true 35" tall tire will rub on the corner of the tub. Right where the wheel well, firewall, floor interesct.

Many cut this corner off, and patch in sheet metal.
The one's I have seen that I liked best just moved the axle forward.

I recently moved my front axle forward about 3" and it was probably the best mod I have made to the suspension. It makes ledges a whole lot easier with an enormous increase in approach angle.

If you can run 33's with no problem, the 35-claws shouldn't give you any problems either.

pugrocker 08-19-2003 12:40 PM

what?

**DONOTDELETE** 08-19-2003 12:48 PM

Measured the tires last night and their static, unloaded, not on a wheel size is a true 35 inches... Of course, once you put them on wheels and put a load on them they'll measure down somewhat.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I recently moved my front axle forward about 3" and it was probably the best mod I have made to the suspension. It makes ledges a whole lot easier with an enormous increase in approach angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan.

Did you have any problems with the steering? I would think that moving the axle that much would cause some problems.