Leaking like the Exxon Valdez - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Leaking like the Exxon Valdez

I just finished up insalling a new head gasket. Now the rocker arm cover gasket is leaking. Since it was a new gasket I didn't use any gasket sealer. So now, do I get a new gasket and try again, or just re set it with gasket sealer and be done with it. Also what type of sealer would you guys reccemend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 10:55 AM

Re: Leaking like the Exxon Valdez

it is probably shifted out of place if it new and positioned corectly it shouldnt leak even without sealant
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 10:59 AM

I would just try using a silicone on the new gasket and be done with it. But don't be skimpy with the siliconem, just load it on there.

For as the type of silicone try "Super Weather Strip Adhesive" made by 3M. I've been using this for quite some time now and it always works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Cap34

Two tips ... (1) When I replace my rocker cover, I actually follow the torque specs and do it in several steps. The only time I have ever had a valve cover leak was when my idiot brother cranked it down so hard the cover was warped. (2) Try an OEM gasket for an 8 valve 1.6, They are rubberized and appear to be better quality than some of the pure cork 1.3 gaskets I've seen.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 12:10 PM

I like to put gasket sealer on the valve cover side only so the gasket is cemented to it . This makes for esier removal for maintance of those peskey noisy valves!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 12:36 PM

I know your frustration [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] I went through 3 gaskets before I got one on right. Like above I glued the gasket to the cover. The trouble is getting it on the backside without knocking the gasket off the back corners. Got smart and did a bunch of messing without the gasket and think I found the easiest way on.

Start with the front of the cover held about 8 inches high and the back resting down on the lip. Kinda tilt the cover to the drivers side and move it around a bit and you'll find the spot where it'll slip right under the distributor and you can then let the front down. Do this without the gasket and get the feel of it. I used an inspection mirror to make sure the gasket was in place before I tightened the bolts down.

Hope this helps [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

I want to thank you guys for the help. Come to think of it the old gasket I removed was rubber not cork; and yes that's exactlu where it's leaking where the cover meets the dist.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

Using a 17mm wrench, slowly turn the bolt on your crank pulley clockwise until the rocker for the #4 cylinder moves down and out of the way. The valve cover will be easier to remove and replace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode