Locker Install Troubleshooting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 08:55 PM
LilRed

Locker Install Troubleshooting

Just installed a Lockrite on my automatic '92 kick last night. Locker seems to be working fine but . . . whenever I shift from drive to reverse or vise versa, it clunks and jerks. What have I done wrong? Wanted to take it out to Turkey Bay OHV trails this weekend! Shifts fine while driving or going from park.

Thanks in advance-
red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Veteran

Re: Locker Install Troubleshooting

doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong. The open diffs cushion garage shifts more so than a locked diff. As long as you know you've reset the ring gear backlash back to what it was before you removed the carrier and properly preloaded the bearings you will be fine. BTY, I have a lock rite in my tracker and it jerks me to the right each time I shift, that's normal.Shifting the auto from reverse/drive or drive/reverse may load the diff. similarly and cause the jerk.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 11:53 PM

Had the same problem after my first lockrite install. about a week or so after installing it I started getting a clunking sound in the rear end when I shifted. It still worked but sounded awful and felt "loose".

I didn't clean the ring gear bolts enough when I had them out. I did use locktite but obviously not enough. All the ring gear bolts had come loose and the ring gear was flopping around inside the carrier. The way it is set up the ring gear bolts wont come out completely they will just come out about 90% and let the ring gear flop around.

Hope this isn't your problem cause you've got to pull the whole thing apart to even check and/or fix it but it was definately a "clunk" sound when I shifted gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 11:04 AM
LilRed

Could the ring gear bolts still come loose if I torqued them to spec? And the clunk & jerk have been there since the first time I took it out. Called Powertrax. They said its likely that this amount of backlash is normal but can't say for sure. I really, really don't want to have to pull this thing apart again!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 11:19 AM

As long as your backlash is adjusted right your o.k. Depending on gear ratio & tire size your drive shaft will turn from half a turn or more before the locker engauges to the axles. My sammy does this & so does my friends auto Sidekick. Remember, the locker has to have power input to lock,thats why when you shift in a stick it bangs & pops,power gets taken away when you push the clutch in. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 12:35 PM
SilverZuk

My pinion only turns slightly before it engages the gear.
What you are describing is a symptom or excessive wear, or improper installation.

The pinion should turn the same amount before stopping (free play) with or without a locker.

Does it make the clunking in all positions?
example pull forward slightly turning left, stop and try it.
do the same thing turning right.

I don't know if a bent axle or housing could cause that or not.

Have someone shift it for you to make the sound while you watch the pinion to see what it does.
Could it be a U-joint?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 04:50 PM
Veteran

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Could it be a U-joint?

[/ QUOTE ] This should be blatently obvious(amount of play) if it's a u-joint. Also, to cause a clunk when shifting it would have to be worn enough to the point where it would cause a noticable vibration while driving. Do you feel any of this as well?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 05:26 PM
Frog

Stupid question, did you use a retaining can or something to keep the pins from sliding out and hitting the pinion?
It sounds stupid but I know some retard (me) that did it and to take it apart again... [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 07:28 PM

like was said earlier the drivelinewill probably turn 1/8 to 1/4 turn before the locker ingages all the locker is is a gear with a wedge on the back of it to push it out aginst the gear that is on yoru axle shaft the ring gear must rotate so to push the drive pins between the ramps locking the diff
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 11:44 AM

http://www.tractech.com/TechTips.htm [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode