Ongoing roblem with my 93 sidekick someone help!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ongoing roblem with my 93 sidekick someone help!!

I have been getting the throttle position sensor code for a while now and I have tried just about everything. I bought a new tps and it didn't make a differance, i sent out my ecu to avpro in florida to have that checked and that wasn't the problem either. I checked all the moving parts to the tps and throttle body and nothing is wrong with it. The only thing i can think of is maybe an inline fuse or relay went bad. Does anyone know where I might be able to find the relay or fuse at if at all. The wires dissapear into the block and I can't trace them? IF anybody knows anysolutions to this please help. I can bearly drive the thing up hills anymore!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ongoing roblem with my 93 sidekick someone help!!

You have to slow down and explain what the actual problem is. What is it doing. Does it work good, but hesitate when you press the gas pedal? Explain exactly what it does and then someone will more that likely be able to help you out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry I forgot that part!! Just one day I hit the gas instead of the brake and didn't realize it was me that was revving an engine. When I realized it wsa me it was too late the check engine light came on and has been on for some time now. About 6 months. I took it to a local suzuki dealer to have the code read and it was I think 52?? but I know it was for the throttle position sensor. That I do remember. I let it go because the car was running ok. It has always had a weak low end acceleration, at least to me and it picks up thepower in the higher RPMS around 3500. Slowly but surely it kept getting worse and now I'm to the point where I ahve really TERRIBLE acceleration. And i can smell the car is running very rich from a strong gas smell in the exhaust. Also the idle drps down to very low at times, to the point of almost stalling but it never does. I tried to correct that by cranking the idle up to 2500 so when it goes into one of its spells it doesn't reach rock bottom. It worked for a while with the idle at stoplights but latley is is dropping back down to about 100 rpm. Then funny thing is the car has a mind of its own every once and a while it jumps back up to full power like when I bought it and suprises the hell out of me!! I recently have gone on a quest to try to fix it. I got a new tps and it made no differance. I got a new fuel pump and it made no differance. I got new plugs, wires, cap and coils, still nothing. Then i starting reading online boards like parts mike and the such. Seems like alot of people have the same symptoms but they were resulting from an ecu failure. So I sent my ecu out ot AVPRO in florida to see if they could find anything wrong, I guess they check for leaking capasitors or something. Every test it came up OK in . And thats where Im't at today. I just can't figure it out. The chec engine code still reads TPS. I need my zuki for winter !!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 09:24 AM

OK, not to say that the TPS might not be part of your problem, it could be. But it sounds to me like you really need to take the Kick to someone with a factory service manual and real tune up skills.

The TPS requires careful adjustment, using a digital voltmeter across a couple terminals to set its adjustments. Additionally the water temp sensors and air temp sensors must be working properly and there is a number of adjustments for idle speed- throttle position on the throttle body that all must be accomplished in the proper order.

Guessing, twisting idle speed screws and throwing new electrical parts under the hood and hoping won't get your Kick working well again. Its probably worth the $50-75 to have a good shop put your Kick on a diagnostic machine and know exactly what needs to be accomplished.

Let us know how it turns out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fastone is right. By throwing parts at your engine and cranking up the idle speed, you are actually doing more bad than good. Although now, that system is considered fairly old technologym it's still fairly complex to the untrained person. Not only is this costing you money is parts that you may not need, it may also cost more money now for a qualified tech. at a good shop to find the problem now. To me, it sounds like a TPS could cause you this problem, but it does have to be set up correctly. Also a faulty MAP sensor can cause a simular problem, (running very rich, and a very rough idle.) DO yourself a favour, take it to a good shop and spend the money to have someone fix it for you. You'll save money in the long run, and your 'kick will be more reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode