Embarrsed (Need to weld my DIFF'S) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Embarrsed (Need to weld my DIFF\'S)

[img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
OK ~so Itook my <font color="red"> OPEN </font color> Toy axcled Zuk out for it's first Run. YES I had FUN but man what a let down. I have been used to LOCKED axcles on my Zuk axcles that I replaced with my Open Toy Axcles. I got Dusted ERRR Mudded by just about every one except one poor little J**p on this one wet clay hill and other arreas as well. Even my buddy Rob who bought my Zuk lockers with his wimpey 31" half gone AT tires out did me [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
Ok I don't have the money to Lock my Toy axcles right now and I've been told that when I do I will have to replace the carrier any way. SOOOOO I got a welder ~ could you welded dif GURUS please shoot me all the info I need to weld my Diff's!!!! How about the front ??? can I weld them as well??? What type of stick welding rod should I use?? I do run it on the road as well as off but don't of corse use the front on road. Am leaving for my weekely Run To El Paso and will be back Fri to check on this info.
Thanks in advance for the HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 04:28 PM

Re: Embarrsed (Need to weld my DIFF\'S)

you CAN weld the front but thats solely a decision you would make, I believe the pirate website (www.pirate4x4.com...???) has a writeup on how to weld up a toyota diff but dont quote me on that, on another note, you have to consider the new abuse your axles will be taking, I dont believe the rear is much of a concern besides being on the road and turnning sharply only to hear the inside rear tire squeeling, which brings new stress onto your rearend since the locking differential cant rachet the inside tire. On the front I was told driving down the street in 2wd, you would never know the front end was locked, but offroad in 4wd its a whole other story, steering gets more hard ( as with any locker welded or not), which should translate to more force on the front axle, I think the primary concern on the front would be the birfields (damn closed knuckle axles!!) but the sammy in itself is light enough that you may not have to worry about that kind of stuff ( given gearing, tire size etc..), overall when I throw the toyotas under my zuk Im going to weld the front and rears up, and if I ever run into problems with birfields there will always be a choice of some longfields [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 06:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Talk to zooky before you weld the front. He did it and wasn't too happy. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 01:58 AM

This link might help.

Good luck

http://ih8mud.com/tech/woody//welded.html

A friend told me that it could be welded in a half hour or in 3 hours.

The trick he said is to take your time and let it cool down between welds.

Also he told me that when u finish the welding to wrap the carrier up in insulation and to let it cool off the rest of the night.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 08:34 AM

i ran front and rear welded diffs on my trail only zuk. niether of them have lasted the summer. they were welded up so when teh welds broke, they would act as a stock open diff. the rear got broke early in the summer and i managed to break the welded front last night while getting some air and landing on a hill climb. not sure why the welds failed, but i was by no means easy on the truck.

this time around i am gonna run a spool from tt.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Veteran

randy's ring and pinion carries a FULL spool for 8" toy axles. I'll be running one in the rear of my sammy when the time comes
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 02:19 PM

I got my spool from Randy's R&amp;P for $140. Save yourself the hassle of welding and possiably early failure and set up your diffs right. I was going to weld my Toys but after doing some research I found more people who complain about breaking thier carriers, then praise the "low cost" locker solution. Welding diffs is for people who have lots of spare parts and time from what I've read. My .02
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 03:23 PM

i know my welded diffs failed early, but there are a ton of people out there that swear by them and never break them. my bro welded the zuk diffs at work using welding rod for free so mine cost me nothing.

if you do have the diffs welded, i highly suggest that you have them welded so if they break, the diff will act as a "open" diff like before and usually this style of welded diff won't usually grenade the carrier either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode