power steering ???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

power steering ????

My question is this. Which is better to do? Drill the holes and put pipe in to mount the steering box. Or make a reloacator plate. I would like to know which is stronger in the long run. Also the main reason I want to do this is if I trash the frame I can simply remove and rebolt to another. Below are 2 pics which show what Iím talking about.
Some say to reuse one of the bolt holes and angle the steering box up so the pitman are clears everything. Has anyone had a problem with this? Is there any info that Iím missing? I currently have everything I need just need the fine tuning

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 11:21 AM

Re: power steering ????

Can't help you but mabey you could find something in this link.

Hope this helps. See ya

http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/samurai/samps.htm

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 11:44 AM

Charles,

Since the bolt paterns are right on top of each other. (assuming the relocator plate shown is the one you
are using, not jusat a sample) I'd say its a draw, so long as the plate is thick enough not to flex.

Speaking of flex, since the frame is not designed (read gusseted and braced) for power steering, you
need to watch for frame flex. If you have any, the frame will work harden at the flex point, eventually
fracturing. PS puts more strain on the members so be thinking about where the strain is going. You can
do the basic install, and have someone crank the wheel back and forth while looking at the structure.
You might even clamp something to the opposit side to use a s a tellteil reference point, maybe a yardstick.

Angleing the box, that is more a function of the steering wheel input shaft angle. You dont want to get
the angle too steep or you can get some rotational speed differences, just like a driveshaft will. I have
never seen a CV universal, sized for steering, but maybe someone knows about one? if tha angle is withing
the univeral's working angle, go for it. Don't expect too much out of a rag joint on this subject though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

this is the point i was making.

i have seen several setups and i dont like the angels

i was also thinking of making a plate for the outside kinda to beef it up just a bit

both would be 1/4 or atleast the inside 1/4 and the out side 3/16

here is a pic of one that i help at the end of. this part was done when i got there

as for the u-joint
you use the upper part and cut the lower part where the rag joint is and the weld together

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1165983-tracy steering4.JPG (55.1 KB, 12 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 05:46 PM
Alfie

I have recently done this, I used a plate o/s the chassis with tubing welded to it, the tubing did not get welded to the chassis.
On the inside I used a wedge of steel which angled the box straight at the steering wheel. Used a rag joint and went driving.
HTH
A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode