Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Suzuki GEO All (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/)
-   -   searching for winter survival parts (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/173600-searching-winter-survival-parts.html)

scott400f 08-08-2003 09:45 PM

searching for winter survival parts

Gets mighty cold here in wisconsin anyone installed a engine heater?

Also auxillary heater has anyone tried to add alittle heat to there interior?

Last thing need to replace the boot on the front tie rod buggered it up while putting the new drop pitman on.

Other than that new custom tube bumpers ready to install once the rest of the truck is painted. Oh, yes it never ends [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Looking for suggestions prices and part numbers. I live in a small town have access to a autozone and car quest no Suzuki oem in my area.

Thanks again!!

outlawmws 08-08-2003 10:38 PM

Re: searching for winter survival parts

The main thing for the heater is removing the leaves that acculilate from the cowl vent. A hole cut in the
air box just above the heater core allows you to get them out without complete disasembly. Then tape the
hole or use a conduit box plug.

Any one know any trick to doing this job for an SJ410? That or the trick to getting the box open? The
heater box is different before 86. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

4x4_Austin_Mini 08-08-2003 10:45 PM

I've never had mine plugged in and it starts everytime. Even whens it's 40 below she stills starts for me.

casper 08-08-2003 10:59 PM

Don't forget to replace the thermostat with the highest rated one possible. This will keep the coolant in a closed circuit longer, helping the vehicle to warm up faster. Ditto for having good coolant in the system.

Frog 08-09-2003 10:22 AM

Fitting an electric fan also helps a lot. Quicker warm up time since the fan only kicks in when the engine is actually warm.

blue_zuk 08-09-2003 10:28 AM

outlaw, at least your sj410 HAS a heater!! my 1982 came stock without the heater "luxury option".

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

blue_zuk 08-09-2003 10:38 AM

scott, i live in minnesota and it gets cold here too. i have installed block heaters on two of my samurais. i found the block heaters on a couple zuks that i was parting out. they seem to work pretty good.

i agree with everyone that the best way of increasing your interior heat is to clean out the crap from the heater box. tons of little $hit collects on the heater core and restricts the heat flow.

outlawmws 08-09-2003 02:51 PM

Lets see... You from Minnisota, the 82 probably came from Canada, and a heater is a luxury option???

ROTFL!!!

[img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

blue_zuk 08-09-2003 03:37 PM

outlaw, my sj410V (tin top) was brought into the us via a serviceman from the military. he had it in hawaii, shipped it to california, and then drove it clear up here to minnesota.

i am dead serious, my sj410 did NOT come from the factory with a heater. my manual says that a heater is an option for this year. another funny tidbit i found was in the manual under cooling system. the manual tells to use water low in acid, such as non-hard tap water, and then it states "Distilled water is ideal, but is a luxury in most cases". it seems that even the most basic items are considered "luxury" by suzuki.

i got a good laugh out of it when i read it in the manual, hope you do too. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Nowhere 08-09-2003 08:40 PM

I agree on a primary electric fan (no mechanical fan).

It'll stay off until the cooling system needs it (may never come on in cooooold weather).
[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Get a GOOD one though, those cheapo ones from discount auto don't work too well..