Rear Yota is Finally in! PICS! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Rear Yota is Finally in! PICS!

Finally got this thing done. Shortened the right side to offset the diff. Got bigger brakes too. I guess 2.5" in drum size really makes a difference! Need an adjustable valve. Still need to weld on the traction bar mount and paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1164975-IMAGE1.JPG (25.5 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: Rear Yota is Finally in! PICS!

another....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1164979-IMAGE2.JPG (29.2 KB, 3 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

another...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1164983-IMAGE3.JPG (25.4 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:49 PM

Looks good!!!!
Got mine done as well but didn't shorten any thing and YES I do have some viberation but have worked most of it out by moving the entire drive train and moter over to better match the diff and droped it all a little as well. What did you do with the front to match the shortened rear?
I gotta do the same with my rear brakes as well , I get prematuere lock up on the rear when moderat pressure is applied.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 07:40 PM

how much did you shorten it? Who did your axle shortining up in Redding? It looks great! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Larry: I am still using the stock front. The rear is 1/2" wider that the front now. For the brake bias....you could install a smaller wheel cylinder or go for the valve. I have 7/8" cylinders on mine right now. I may try 3/4" or 13/16" next.

This was a 2wd toyota motorhome diff. I took 6" off the right to get the pinion in the right place. This made the diff 2" too short. Then I had Metal Action make me some 1.25" spacers that changed the Yota's 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern to the Zuk's 5 on 5.5 and also made it a little wider than stock.

I did the housing myself and had a Backyard machine shop cut the splines on the axle. He did a killer job...better that stock Cost me $130 for the spacers and $75 for the machine work. I put 4.56's and a Detriot Trutrac in it too.

It helps that I own a drivetrain shop. That keeps the cost down since I do all of this myself

I think I might make a jig to do some more of these, except maybe use an 86+ or Tacoma 4x4 diff, which is like 3-6" wider than the earlier ones. This would give me some room to work with to get the offset right.

Then you guys could run a stock Yota front with my narrowed housing and axleshaft and get rid of vibs! I could even offer a complete package with gears and your choice of locker delivered to your door. I have a feeling SKY will be offering some type of offset Yota soon.

The machinist told me he could make me chromoly 26 spline front axles for $100 a pair and a few bucks more if I want them heat treated. This will be the next step....along with cutting and rotating the front housing for a CV driveshaft and more caster.

For you guys near Portland, Dutchman will cut your housing for around $100 and spline the axle for $50.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the info! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode