Camshaft Manual Misprint? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 02:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Camshaft Manual Misprint?

Hi Everyone,

I posted before about my poor gas mileage in my Samurai 92 JL. The problem turned out to be it needed a new engine (as well as new 4WD bearings, a radiator, a fuel system purge, a water pump, exhaust manifold - ooops!)

Anyway, the engine was rebuilt and the cam shaft used turned out to be the wrong one based on a misprint that apparently is in all the manuals. There are 3 different camshafts that were used on the Samurai engines but most people follow the manual and put the wrong one in one type engine because all the books are wrong. My mechanic found this out by calling Suzuki directly after running tests at the 1000 mile service check and thinks that alot of cars are running around with the wrong cam shaft and getting less power, poor performance.

My rocker arms had to be re-machined and a new cam shaft installed. It's currently still in the shop.

What does anybody know about this?

thanks
kristy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 05:18 PM
zukikid

Re: Camshaft Manual Misprint?

i think that anyone who had to pull a camshaft went ahead and upgraded to a more powerful cam like the hawks regrind or a torqer cam .that is some good info though...i never know that there were difrent cams....hmmmmmm
zukikid

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

According to my mechanic (Michael at Foreign Engine Service in Milwaukie, Oregon http://www.foreignengine.com/) there are four camshafts: 1 for the carbureated model, two for fuel infected models, and 1 other late model camshaft. He got this info from Suzuki themselves who told him many manuals had wrong info printed in them.

I've got my car back now and I can say 'WoW!' there is an appreciable difference. I've broken the 70mph barrier!

kristy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the info Kristy, I put a carb on my fuel infected zuki and I was wondering why my performance changed. I will definitely have to scrutinize this a little closer and find out lift and duration for each.

-Shawn-

FRANKENZUKI,10 foot tall and bullet proof!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode