Zooks and Winches - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2000, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Zooks and Winches

What is the best choice (warn winches) for a Sj410. ???
My baterry is 45 Amp. Will I need another one ??
What ways are there for mounting the winch other than buying a winch Bumper ???

Thanks in advance

Rui Alberto Sá Freitas
Livramento de Cima
9125 Caniço

Ilha da Madeira
PORTUGAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2000, 10:27 AM

Re: Zooks and Winches

Que tal.
rui

i don`t know what is the best-suited winch for a sami (it always depends), but down here in chile they came stock (put in by the importer) with a W5000 lb winch....

Had no trouble saving a big ass Toyota Hilux pickup some weeks ago, that was up to the pumpkins into sand...just make sure, you rev the engine at 5000 and let the clutch go in rapidly (being in reverse), so all 4 wheels will dig deep into the sand... if you dont do this, you will tow your sami towards the Toy and not the other way round...

ciao
alfred

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2000, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been looking for a winch myself and am considering one that can be used in the front or back. Both Ramsey and Warn seem to have them. They connect using a square hitch which means the bumpers would have to have them. It just seems good to be able to pull out of trouble either way when your in trouble. If I'm out in the woods hunting or fishing it can be hours or even days before someone comes by and I really don't want to have to walk out. Even overloaded, I can't see the Sami weighing much over 4,000lbs. Is there really a need for a larger winch?

Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2000, 08:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I recently got a ramsey #8000 lb winch on the front of my monster. I got it mostly for looks, plus they were on sale at the time. I figured I would never need one. But, now that I got it, I use it almost every week. I sometimes wish I had a larger one, but it probably would not fit in my bumper if I had a larger one. My sugestion is get the largest you feel comfortable with. I traded for a custom built bumper a while back, so I could not design my bumper for a larger winch. Had to make due with what I had. I feel with winches, bigger is better. But everybody has a limit, so the decision is yours. Overall, I have not had a problem with my #8000 not doing the task assigned.
Just my .02!
later
bb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2000, 10:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What I hear a lot of is that your winch should be about 2.5 times the weight of your car. I was thinking that a 6,000 Lbs unit should be about right for any of my needs, maybe a little more if I had a bigger rig. I don't do much in mud, but I assume you would need a little more ummph in mud and sand. Just what I have heard.

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode