rusty but trusty? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rusty but trusty?

Hey all-
I've been looking at the previous posts for input, but I need some opinion from seasoned professionals.

1) I have the opportunity to buy an 88 Samurai, removable hardtop, with 57,000 miles on it. Never rolled, never even taken offroad. City use only, and it's rusty around the wheel wells. I'm wondering if it's a good deal at $800 bucks or so, or if the rust holes should bring down that price.

2) Are there places that sell body panels? I found alot of aftermarket parts, rocker panel guards, etc. Is it better to just buy one in good mechanical shape and then try to find a better body, or vice versa, or should I just look for something that is pretty good overall?

Thanks,

Alex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rusty but trusty?

Alex-
im certainly not a pro,but if the mechanics are good, thats a great price. it depends where you are,but ive heard out west, a rig like that would be at least triple that price. Here in the east, i think they're fairly cheap-probably cause they havent really caught on..yet. For the rust, not really a big deal-it can be fixed in your driveway. Mine had the same problem in the bed (it sat in Vt for 3 years uncovered),grind it sand it putty it paint it. I have the "air flow" holes still around the wheel well, but will get around to it.For the time, just stuff a towel in there to keep the gunk out. I'd suggest find a trustworthy mechanic, and for @50 bucks or so, he can do a full diagnostic so you know what youre geting into.Best of luck and welcome- Buy it !!

dbenj
88.5 zook, mini mudders, 2' springs,header,K&N,custom ski bumper
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 07:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey man, i agree with dbenj, if it is in good mechanical shape, jump on it. the body is easily fixed or replaced. where you located? I got a line on serveral NICE body tubs if interested.
later
bb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree, 800 is a good price if the mechanicals are in godd shape.

hey if the rust bothers you I have an 86 tbody tub thats front AZ, No Rust! you or anyone reading this can HAVE this, FREE, the only catch is you get the rest of whats left of the body and frame with it.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I live in Minnesota, and I think I'll buy the rustbucket. Let me know where and what you've got, body-wise.

Thanks,
Alex

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 05:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

im located in tennessee, will be coming to zukimelt if plans dont change. if you want to send me a video tape, i can record the bodys i have and send the video back to you. email me off the board for a address in interested..
later
bb

Hey Andy, what is left of that tub anyway? Just curious. If I can arrange a trip out your way, may be talking seriously. Don't know yet though.
later
bb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pretty Much All of the body is present. But rh front fender, hood, windshield, tailgate and grill messed up no lights ect ect. Pretty much all that is useable is the tub, but its' in great shape, no rust.'
Some kids got ahold of some golf clubs and had a field day on this sam.
I live in Westminster CO (suburb of Den) and if you or any one wants this just let me know when, I'm still getting stuff off it.
If no one wants this within a couple of weeks, I just found and bought a 87 for $150 !!! and was considering melding them both into one. The 87 is complete but not running and has tub damage but the rest of it is good.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode