long springs/frame extension?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2000, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

long springs/frame extension??

I am interested in using longer springs and getting the frame extended to accept them. I have a S/R so it will also let me run bigger tires with out them rubbing the back of the front wheel well. Where would I go for this, and how much will it cost? I have no welder, and no welder experience, so I have to have someone else do it. My goal is to run rear springs in the front, and the CJ front springs in the rear, like a M/L. I am looking for better travel, and a better ride (I spend many hours each week on the freeways). I figured that I could get rear springs cheap (from the rear of my car), and I hear the you can pick up used CJ springs for next to nothing, so I thought it might be a mod that would suit my budget, depending on what the frame being extended will cost. So anyone with experience, please let me know. Thanks a ton.

Marcus
'87, bouncy ride

PS If there is someone in the so cal area who has the tools and the experience to do this, I would be interested in paying you. I would rather have a club member who has done it before than some welding shop who is trying for the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2000, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: long springs/frame extension??

I'm doing the CJ swap sometime before the weekend........

I've seen it done without extending the frame or moving hangers. It creates a pretty dramatic shackle angle, but I kinda like that idea for better wheel travel.

I guess I should just shut up and do it eh? Too bad it's raining today...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I'm going to do the swap and hit the trail to see if there are any problems. I'll post up on Sunday night.

Oh....I don't have a SR though.......that could be a problem. I don't understand what you mean by not having to worry about rubbing at the rear of the front wheel wells. I thought you would have to worry about that since the tires move backwards in a SR, not forward.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2000, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I looked into having the frame extended in order to move the S/R spring mounts forward, allowing longer springs, and keeping the tires out of the rear of the wheel well. But no one seemed to thing they could do it for a resonable amount ($400-$800), so I am going to look for a new solution. One custom fab place suggested the maybe I could have the front spring mounts on a strong bumper, like the ARB bumper. What do you guys think??? I am looking for ANY ideas here, so let me know please. I have the rear suspension covered, how to put CJ springs in the back and all. The fronts are giving me a run-around though, so help if you can. Thanks guys for all the help so far.

Marcus
'87 JX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2000, 08:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have the bolton shackle reverse, then you are S.O.L as far as extending the frame.

If you don't mind selling it and going to the weldon Warrior style S/R kit, then extending the frame would be a piece of cake. We've had bunches of customers run rear springs up front with the Warrior kit. Flexes much better than the bolton with stock springs, rides far better, and gets the tires off the back of the wheel well which is the main downside of the bolton thing. The shackle reverse assembly itself can serve as the frame extension without fabrication. Sounds like this may be cheaper than keeping that foo-foo bolton thing and trying to make it work.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2000, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glenn-I am almost convinced, just need some more info. So what you are saying is that all I would need is the warrior kit in order to run rear springs? Nothing else? That sounds easier to me. What are my bumper options if I do try to extend it to run the rear springs? I don't have a welder so I would have to pay someone to do it for me, how would this complicate things (I guess I mean, how easy would it be to do the welding? I have to weigh how much I will be paying for the time the welder gives to me). Tell me what ever you can. I am very interested, but I have to be certain that it is as easy as it sounds with your kit. Thanks for the info so far.

Marcus

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2000, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In the interest of saving space on the bulletin board, email me direct and I can go over all your questions and any others which you might have too.
[email protected]

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2000, 03:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know if this will help, but...........

I found a neat idea for a bumper that anyone can do with basic tools (no welder). It was just a piece of rectangular steel tubing. You drill some holes in it to fit u-bolt ends through. The u-bolts go around the tube crossmember on the front of the Samurai. Then the threaded ends go through the bumper and nuts are put on the ends to secure it. They didn't have a picture, but off the top of my head I would imagine you would use four u-bolts, two per side to go on either side of the frame rails (? haven't looked at it yet). You could put the signal lights in the bumper, behind the grill or on the front of the hood.

(BTW, I would fill the crossmember with a thick walled steel tube that just fits snug, for added strength)

I don't know if this will work with an extended frame S/R etc., but it's worth looking into. It might be just a matter of notching it.

BTW, I did my rear CJ swap yesterday..........I did it in a rush because I needed to get done in time to meet some guys for a run. Bad idea.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I should have taken my time and done it right the first time. I ended up moving the axle to far to the rear and had a pretty severe shackle angle.

The shackle angle wasn't much of a worry other than they would hit the tow loops in the back when I hit bumps at speed. The problem was moving the axle backwards too far, I ended up rubbing pretty bad and cut my tires up badly. Oh well, more siping for better traction I guess.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Also, the shocks were too short and hard to get in now that the axle was moved so I left those off for the run. I might have to relocate the mounts or I might be able to get away with just extending the e-brake guide farther away from the axle housing (e-brake line intefers with shock).

The driveshaft is extended a little more than I would like too. I didn't have any problems last night with it, but I don't think it will like it long term so some driveshaft spacers are going to be needed.

So..........back to the drawing board.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I need to move the spring eye mounting point a little farther forward (1.25" was what I did). I want to drop them an 1" or so too. I need longer shocks and driveshaft spacers.

I'll get it all worked out sooner or later. For now the CJ springs are coming off and I'll be grinding them and spraying them with Hammerite. The old springs are going back for now, and I guess I'll just have to put the 235s on when I want to 'wheel. Did fine with them before anyway.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Keep ya posted.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2000, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm here in San Jose. I am capable of performing all those mods on your vehicle....are you close ??

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2000, 02:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, thanks for writing. I am down in the LA area. Unfortunately though, I may have just had some expensive issues come up, so it may be a month or two before I take any action on these ideas. Have you done these mods before? Pass on any advice/info you see fitting, please. I am dying to learn what other people have tried, seen done, like, and dislike. Thanks again for the offer, I may just take you up on that.

Thanks
marcus
[email protected]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2000, 07:54 AM

PetroWorks is down near Camp Pendleton in Fallbrook and can do all the welding and mods you are looking for within your budget. Give them a call.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode