Weber carb install. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Weber carb install.

I've got myself a Weber 32/36 DGAV. It was pretty scummy when I got it, but for $30 NZ (about $17 US) I can't complain.
Looks better after cleaning it with some oven cleaner (I'm not kidding, it works really well - even removes oxidisation!) - see crappy pic atached

They're really common over here on the Ford Cortina's, and they're a real weber, not the strange holley one the US gets
It even has almost EXACTLY the jets that Sarge reccomends as standard. Bonus.

Anyway.

Looking at the install, and it seems it would be much easier to install it with the floats at the front. Then the fuel line matches up, as does the throttle, and the water choke hoses would be better placed.

My question is if you install the float bowl vent tube, set the floats properly and install a pressure regulator, then does it matter which was around you install it?

Sarge? I'm sure you can tell me.

Also, is the crank on the end of the choke butterfly shaft supposed to have slop/play on the shaft? I don't think is should as it looks like it has been peined over, but mine has worn and has 6-10 mm (1/4-1/2") slop so you can move the flaps without the linkage actually moving.

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1121124-carb.JPG (37.9 KB, 139 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 11:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Weber carb install.

You can flip it backwards without too much of a change in plumbing. The fuel inlet can be swapped from side to side (after removing the allen plug, you might have to remove an internal lead plug, easy, no worries). There should be enough cable to bring the cable to the front.

There shouldn't be any play in the choke shaft/butterflies. On one of my Webers, the same thing happened. I quick fixed it by tack welding it in place (do this with the cover of the carb off the rig). It's been 2 years and it has been fine.....

The reversing of the mounting removes the possibility of stalling on inclines and any stalling that might happen would then be on decents.....

Then again, if you had Sarge work his magic on it, you wouldn't have any problems....

I found a shop that carried Weber parts in South Aukland when I was over there. I was impressed that they had parts in stock..... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Well I haven't had Sarge do his magic as I live a few thousand miles away across quite a large patch of water (For those that don't know where New Zealand is!)

It looks like the throttle cable would be the biggest problem, as my zook is right hand drive, so its quite short.

I've been thinking about just removing the choke, as its one a weekend toy anyway, and it doesn't get cold here (hardly goes below freezing in winter). If not I will weld up the crank to the shaft.

Is the main problem with stalling caused by the fuel overflowing/sloshing out of the float bowl into the air jets/throat? If it is and I put in the vent tube like sarge does, then surely the orientation doesn't matter?

Can anyone confirm this?

Anyway CrowHorse, what were you doing over here in NZ?
I work just down the road from that carb shop.

Where are you Sarge?? Your vast and superior knowledge on weber's is required! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

It's about 8500 miles from NYC....
I was visiting friends and enjoying your gorgeous country! Between touring the North island, I was seaching for zook parts. I never made it to the Suzuki salvage yard, but did get the opportunity to go black water rafting....Very Cool!!!![img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I really miss NZ.......
You might want to convert it to a manual choke. This way, you still have a working choke without the additional plumbing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 AM

Hey Ben - would you be willing to source out one of these cheapo webbers and ship it over to Canada? $17 is much more in my price range than a new one. I spent one night in New Zealand - under a park bench in Auckland, broke and on my way home after 5 months in Australia. Feel bad for the people next to me on the plane - couldn't have been smelling great.

Anwyay, I'm serious about the junkyard webbers - let me know, it would be super appreciated!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Set your float at 1.55" and 1.75" at full drop . Fill in the vent area that leads down to the bowl with either metal based epoxy or a metal filler material like JB Weld or Quik Steel . Just make sure it's compatible with gasoline and methanol additives so it won't dissolve or come loose . Either use some steel brake line like the size that comes on the Samurai or some brass tube around 1.87" in diameter . Drill down through the epoxy filler into the bowl and cut the line to fit from the top level of the bowl to just below the air cleaner . This will keep fuel from spilling into the air jets and their reciever well and stop the stalling problems on hills . In some instances and angles , it will sputter and run rough from the excess fuel coming from the vent tube , but at least it won't plug up the air jets and foul out the main circuits . Hope you understand all this .....
Sarge
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Dreadsword I think you'll find the shipping would be pretty steep from here.

I looked at importing a lockright from the states, and it would be about $45-60 US just for that, and a locker is probably about the same weight or even lighter (webers are suprisingly heavy).

I just looked and you could get a 10kg fedex box for $145NZ, about $82US, which would fit a few webers [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How much are they over there? Or can you just not get them?

You'd also need to buy a full rebuild kit, as they certainly wouldn't be 'like new'. Probably another $40US including all diaphragms etc.

The jets almost perfectly match Sarge's reccomendations, but you might still have to tune it a bit at $5per jet.

I could help you out if you are really keen though.

Hmmmm Just looked at the New Zealand post website, and for economy it would be about $20US assuming a weber weighs less than 2 kg. That would take 3-5 weeks!
For $25US you would get it by air in 4-10 days.

Could be worth it for you... let me know.

Ben
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks Sarge, I get it loud and clear - thanks for you help.

I was messing around with my weber the other day, filling it with water thought the fuel inlet and trying to get it to slosh out.

You can tip it up to about 70-80 degrees before it overflows, but at around 45 degrees with a bit of shaking it starts to slosh out fairly easily, so I see where the problem comes from.

I also noticed that with the float set to 1.55" closed, when you hold it open to 1.75" and blow into the inlet it only JUST flows air. I'm wondering if its going to flow enough fuel at WOT like that?

Whatdaya think?

Ben
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

At 2.5 psi fuel pressure , you do have to do some testing to get it dialed in as far as height . Some seem to work great , others need the float down to about 1.45" . I'd say the biggest difference is in the pump , a good bellows type is more consistent and steady in it's flow rate than the pulse type electrics . The biggest help is the tube and running a good consistent regulator , along with dialing down the pressure to 1.5 or so psi offroad . Most Sami engines can't draw enough fuel at wot to empty the bowl fast enough to outrun these float settings , on a larger 2 litre or so engine it could be a problem due to volume . Also, just as a heads up , if you really want an improvement over the usual 32/36DGV's go find a 38mm Outlaw . Those are designed for pure performance , no intentions of fuel mileage at all . Torque off-idle is increased quite a bit since they are synchronous and not a progressive primary/secondary . Gas mileage definitely sucks , but the power is worth it if you have a decently modified head to go with it . I'm working on stuffing a 40DCNF onto a Sami 1.3 intake now , just got to finish up the plates and the linkage ......
Sarge
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

With adding the vent tube, where does it go? I'm assuming fuel spills out when it gets to a steep enough angle.

Have you thought about making up Samurai tuning kits, Sarge? Complete with the jets, fuel pressure reg, fuel pressure gauge. Just a thought, would be nice to be able to get all that in one place.

Also what would you charge for setting up a carb, with the jets changed, & vent mod. I could do it myself, but not sure if I'll have time before the ZukiMelt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode