flickering dash lights??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2000, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

flickering dash lights???

I did a little night off-roading tonight and I noticed that a few of my idiot light would just dimly flicker at times. It seemed to be if the car was at idle, whether rolling down a hill or sitting still. The battery, brake, and one or two others that I don't remember were the active lights. What is going on here? Is it my alternator? I haven't had ANY power problem until now, the battery is always VERY strong, and the starter spins the engine like a banshy when starting (I guess banshy's spin, it sounds cool at least). Any experiences with this? Thanks guys, you help is always a life-saver.

Marcus
'87 JX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2000, 01:13 PM

Re: flickering dash lights???

Was your seatbelt one of them?

FRANKENZUKI,10 foot tall and bullet proof!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2000, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think that it was, there was the brake, battery, and senor, for the most part. It seems to happen all the time when driving at night (I am sure I just don't see them during the day). The are just barely on until I start to drive and rev the engine up, OR when I push on the brakes. They go off in both cases. What is going on.

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2000, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hope it isn't a problem with your alternator and cgahrging system.

I recently replced my alt.. Dashboard lights came on.. then went off.. and finally the seatbelt light came on. I thought there must be a short until I utrned my headlights on (it was getting dark). The lights lasted about 30 miles before they dimmed so much (I had drained the battery) I could not see anything. No street lights out here in bfn arizona either!

I would recommend testing your charging syst/alternator performance.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would primarily suspect that your alternator is on its way out. Do yourself a favour and have it tested or do what I did and borrow an alternator from a friend and swap. If the problem goes away you know exactly what the problem is. I would say by the description you gave that the alternator would be the best place to start.
The alternator comes off quite easily. Loosen the top slider bolt. Move the alternator over to release the belt pressure. From the underside of the vehicle you will also see two bolts, one on each end of the alternator. Remove the two bolts and there you are. Three bolts and your home.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode