Old subject----Gears and Tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Old subject----Gears and Tires

What diff gears would I want to use to keep my speedo calibrated if I install a true 30 inch tire.
T-case is stock. Sammy is 1988.
I looked at outlawmws .xls spreadsheet, and am not sure that I am using it correctly.
thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 02:06 PM

Re: Old subject----Gears and Tires

dAle,

Stock gears would have you doing 3400 RPM at 64 MPH

4:62 RP would give you about 3500 RPM at 64 MPH
4:30's (CA auto) would get you to 3400 RPM at 63 MPH

moving to the Xfer instead:

GRS! (4:16) or mini lobster (82-85 xfer) whould get you to 3400 RPM at 65 MPH

and improves the low range, 12% lower even for the mini lob
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks Outlaw for the quick reply. As far as I can tell, I have a set of 4.6 and a set of 5.12.
I am not sure what they came from, but they fit the sammy carrier with no spacer. I do need to use the can to retain the spider gear pins.
I think that I will use the 4.6 in my street rig with 30 " tires, and the 5.12 with my 4.16 calmini t-case gears and 33" boggers in my trail rig.
I am currently running the 4.16 t-case and the 33's.
There is plenty of power in 1st low for climbing. I can't get enough wheel speed in 1st to clean the mud out of the tread,
and not enough power in second to keep them spinning in the mud. Hopefully with the combination of the 5.12s and the 4.16 t-case I will be able to have the power to clean the mud out of the tread in second without redlining.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 01:19 AM

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. My only thought is swinging the bigger meats might still need a bit
more HP than a stock motor to really sling the mud out, depnding on the grade of mud in your area.
Heavy gumbo can be pretty sticky stuff. If its still lagoing after the gearing it might be time to look at
the motor. I think your on the right track though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Been thinking about more HP, but my injected motor runs soooo good. I hate to change it. I run with the Jeep club from time to time, and where they need HP to get through with their Pizza cutters, I just float over-----Unless I mess up and get into the ruts that they dig. It really upsets them that I can go everywhere they can and some places they can't.
Up here in this part of Alaska, we have mostly swamp with a mossy vegitation. If you don't break through the moss, as you are driving acrossed the swamp, you are pushing a visible wave out in front. Light weight and flotation is the key in our situation and I am afraid that if I add more weight to the front end of my rig, I will have the same weight problens that the larger rigs are having.
DO any of the 1300 CC mods really add HP ? Header? Throttle body spacer? Cam for low end torque? etc....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 08:31 PM

They will add HP but with FI, the computers can trim some of the gain off I understand. Its trying to
compensate for the cam? I cant say I'm an expert on that subject. This is where the carb and injector
crowd like to duke it out. Header is a no brainer as long as you keep adequate back perssure. K&N filter
will help some, mixed reports on throttle body spacers. How is your compression? having that drop off is
deadly to HP and torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode