2" Lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2000, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

2\" Lift

I have an 88 sammy and wont to know the easiest and least expensive way to do a 2" lift and what size tires can I put on it then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2000, 01:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 2\" Lift

you can do it a few different ways. a body lift, sky sells them and they are a great body lift, got one myself. a shackle reversal. if you drive on the road, i can not emphasize the difference a s/r will make on street driving. my zuk stands over 6 feet tall, with a s/r drives great on the road. you can do springs, or maybe even shackles. many different ways to do it. email some companys for specifics. just offering some ideas here.
later
bb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2000, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just too had to BillyBob's post:

'76-'86 Jeep CJ front springs will give about 2" of lift depending on their condition. You can get them anywhere from free to say $100 per pair. I'm installing a set on my Zuk as soon as it stops raining around here.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I like this idea because it also gives you longer springs for better articulation and ride. I'll be doing a write-up on it soon.

I've also made 1" (2" longer than stock) lift shackles. They worked well, allowing me to run 235s with no rubbing, and now after some minor pounding with a hammer I can run 31s with some rubbing only during flex. I was thinking about beefing the spring mounts and dropping them as well. If I dropped them 2" with the shackles that would be a 2" lift (and my caster and pinion angles would stay the same as stock). Total cost about $40 or $50 or free if you have the scrap metal and bolts etc lying around your shop.

Other springs I've heard of people using:

Toyota Corolla
Hyundai Pony
Ford Bronco

Basically anything in the junkyard that you think you can make work![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Sami springs are 2" wide 36" long in the front and 40" in the rear.

CJ springs are 2" by 43". You can do a number of variations of mixing stock leaves with the CJ leaves or moving the spring hangers etc to make them fit right.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2000, 08:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Be careful with dropping the spring hangers down. Its way more leverage than the system was designed to handle. One of the editors at ORC Suzuki page did this awhile back and it crushed his frame in. Fortunately we had a welder on the trail to get him home. But that cheap fix cost WAY more in the long run. The frame can't handle the extra leverage and it will cave in.

For the original post, probably the cheapest way to add 2" of lift is with a body lift. You can see what we offer at
http://www.rocky-road.com/zuksus.html

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2000, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Guess I should stop suggesting the spring mount drop eh Glenn?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm still going to try mine, but now I'm thinking 1" with 1" longer than stock shackles. I think that's all I'm going to need with the CJ springs for the 31s. I do plan to beef and support the hangers better, and the 1" shouldn't make that much of a difference in leverage.

I guess I just keep thinking Jeep though. I banged my hangers all over the place in the Jeep without any problems (beefier frame and hangers). At RC2000 I managed to put a pretty good ding in one of the stock Samurai hangers. That 1/8" steel just doesn't cut it.

BTW, I thought body lifts were a pain in Sams?

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2000, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Reinforce the spring hangers well if you do this. Actually, lemme change that, the hangers themselves held up fine. It was the 'framework' that the spring hangers mount to that caved in.

But hey, let's stop dancing around here.... just do an SPOA! Get it done right the first time :^)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2000, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I had a dime for everytime I've heard someone tell me to go SPOA (I say SOA BTW, must be a Jeep thing)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img], I'd actually be able to buy something from your business Glenn.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] (another comment on my poorness, not your prices)

Almost every Samurai I see on the trail is SOA, and if it isn't the driver usually says they are going to do it. Well, I have to tell you I'm still not convinced it's for "me".

My stock Samurai made it up a hill climb an SOA Sam couldn't make because his high centre of gravity kept lifting the tires off the ground (he was open both ends). I also like crazy angles........angles that some SOA rigs wouldn't be able to follow (or at least the drivers might be too cautious to try).[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Ground clearance is great, but I find the Zuk is small enough to usually avoid high centering by picking a different line (at least on the trails I frequent) than other rigs.

Maybe if I was planning on running 33s or larger, than I would pretty well have to go SOA, and that would be fine. But I think I'm going to stick to 31s on this rig. When I want to do the 5 trails, I'll probably build another CJ.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I think I'll get away with 2" of lift for the 31x10.50s with some trimming here and there.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I know I'll be able to get around 1000 on a 20 degree ramp, and that's plenty for me. Anything beyond that isn't that useful for me. Besides, I ramped as good as a SOA last weekend.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

jo-jo
'87 Suzuki Samurai (BaZuka)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2000, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was joking anyway. SPOA isn't the end-all be-all. In fact, one of our Zuks is not SPOA so I can show folks just how great lifted SPUA spring vehicles do.

Last year at Suzis on the Rocks (Rubicon) I totally walked through the Little Sluice with only some OME springs and a 3" lift. Guys were there with 35" tires on their Zuks and expensive 1/4 elliptic SPOA setups that were getting stuck, breaking, tipping over, etc. Its not always what you drive, but how you drive it too.
BTW, for fun, I drove up the Sluice, back down it, and back up it again :^)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2000, 07:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hands down cheapest and easiest is to by a shackle kit. I got mine @ Canadian Tire in Canada for $20 a set. So for $50 (extrat hardware, bolts included aren't a good fit) I was set. The kit will lift 2.5, 4, and 5.5 (three sets of holes).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode