1. Broken T-case mounts? 2. bad wheel bearings??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2000, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1. Broken T-case mounts? 2. bad wheel bearings???

I just got back from a short off road trip. I have noticed a banging for a while, but it was more frequent off road. It happens when I get off the throttle and then jab it and then back off again. It happens when I am going slowly down a hills when different tires lock up. I finally realized that it was coming from right under me. When holding the T-case lever, I swear it is the source of the noise.

2. What does it mean if when I grab my front tire and shake it side to side (with my hands or a foot) there is a little play? I have been trying to track down different sounds and a slight thumping occured when I hit reflectors in the road and stuff, which caused me to check, and I found some play. Help please!

Thanks for all the help guys.
Marcus

'87 JX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2000, 11:20 PM

Re: 1. Broken T-case mounts? 2. bad wheel bearings???

There's 3 rubber pads that support the T-case,check these to see if they're broken.Also inspect the mounts that bolt to the case since
it's very common for these to bend under hard use.Several venders sell reinforced mounts to cure this problem.While you're under the
vehicle also check the motor mounts for breakage.This happens frequently on high milage Zuks and can cause a thumping sound.
Play in the front wheels can be caused by loose or worn wheel bearings or knuckle bearings.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2000, 08:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Marcus,
Get a buddy to wiggle your tire so you'll be free to look at where the movement is coming from. Don't forget to check the tie rod end(s) as well as the bearings. If the knuckle bearings are bad, you pretty much have to buy new ones, but if the wheel bearings have some play, you may be able to re-pack them with grease & tighten up in the spindle nut & be alright. Regardless, it's a good idea to get on this pretty quick-- that slop will get worse quickly....

Good Luck,
Tim J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2000, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The front end of the same should be jacked up supported on jack stands for this test.
To check for bad wheel bearings with the front tires off the ground place hands on top and bottom of tire then alternately push on the top while pulling on the bottom of tire next pull on top while pushing on bottom of tire. If you see the knuckle move vertically it is the king pin bearings. If just the tire moves vertically it is the wheel bearings.

New king pin bearings from the dealer are sealed bearings. While I had the knuckle apart I would replace the axle seal, the knuckle seal and felt, and the wheel bearing seal. Clean and repack with grease the wheel bearings and steering knuckle. Inspect and repack the CV joints. Consider installing the reinforcing rings on the CV joints.

It's a lot of work but not hard with a manual to guide you.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2000, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, who ever said it would get worse quickly was VERY correct. After driving just about four miles, a quick errand, it is already much worse. The good news is that only the wheel moves up and down, not the knuckle. What a relief to me! So I need a little more help: what do I need to do? I have the Hayes manual, but it isn't going to provide to much help for what I am doing. Repack the bearing and tighten the spindle nut up? How? I installed a rear locker recently, so I am no stranger to axles, anymore, just somewhat a stranger to the more complex front axle. I have to do this today, with or without you guys, but I could really use some advice. Thanks again for all the help.

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode