Wow great response "thanks" now more questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow great response \"thanks\" now more questions

Ok so thanks to the encouragement of the group my son and I have decided on the Rocky road body lift and coil spacers as our first modification. Obviously wheels and tires have to go with that. We are going this weekend to the USED wheel store to try and find a bargain. He really wants just plain steel wheels I think. I was kinda hoping to find some "takeoffs" from another vehicle that will handle the tire size 29 to 30 by 7 or 8. Any particular type of vehicle wheels that I should look for that would be a direct fit for our Tracker?
Also one of my previous responses suggested a roll cage. I have only seen one advertised (calmini) and it is like 350 dollars. Ad shipping on top of that and installation it is very expensive. I say installation because it appears to me a weld in bar. IS there such a thing as a bolt in roll cage? I did by one of those for a bronco I had years ago. Would it be less expensive to just take it to a 4x4 shop and have one built?
Thanks again for the help. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 08:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wow great response \"thanks\" now more questions

Oh I almost forgot. Backspacing for wheels seems very important for these trucks. What is the recommended backspaceing and minimum for running 29 or 30 inch tires
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 08:36 AM

With all the racing that goes on in TN you should be able to get one of the roundy round guys to take care of you easily . If not send rockrat a pm and he may be able to fab one up for you . Make sure to tie it into the frame ,otherwise its really just for looks .And I run a 2"bs and it seems like most people run that also .Or they use wheelspacers to offset the rims . Steel wheels are nice too because they are inexpensive and take a beating . Someone on here just bought new 2" bs steel wheels for around 35.00 each ! I think it was Day motorsports where they got them . Hope this helps .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 08:37 AM

My two cents. Order you sh*t from someone who cares about there customers. Not RRO. You can get your body lift from a ton of vendors. Do a search on Rocky Road. You'll see. Your backspacing is going to depend on what size tire you want to run. Sounds like your talking Track/kick, not sure about proper backspacing, again do a search and Im sure you will find a ton of specs on wheels here on the bbs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I was running 30X9.50 AT's before I built the WW3 and with stock sami rims I had a little bit of rub at full lock of the steering. SO any 3 3/4" BS rim will be in the ballpark. make sure not to go too wide on the rims either. For 30x9.50 you can stay with a 6-7" rim, and you won't loose a bead if you do air them down for wheeling.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 09:05 AM

The RRO bashing is getting old, that's all I got to say about that.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wheel width is going to depend on the width of the tires you pick. So go tire pricing first, and find something reasonable, see what width is recommended.

Wheel pattern is 5 x 5.5" Same as some Fords, some older Jeeps, International Scout, and some others.

Metric sized 235/75 x 15 works out to be about 29 inches and is available in many different brands in both AT and MT. I had 2 sets that size (one AT, one MT) on my Samurai when I first started off-roading it. It also fit on the stock rims. So you might look for different Sidekick wheels.

You can follow this link to Southern Four Wheel Drive Association. http://www.sfwda.org/ They have 17 clubs listed for TN http://www.sfwda.org/clubs.html#TN

You might be able to find people in your area that will help you with your project and show you legal places to off-road. They would probably know people in your area that could help with the roll cage to.

As far as Rocky Road goes, I've had good experiences with them (bought twice from them.) Now, I wouldn't rely on them if I needed something within the next 3 days, as that seems to be the biggest beef. They do seem to take a while on some parts.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 09:57 AM

With the sidekick wheels back spaceing isnt as big of a deal as with the samurais becuase you have no leef springs for the tire to get in to,So looking for a 2" back space is not needed, 3 or 3 3/4 backspacing will wor fine, Rock Road Offroad has had a bad name in thepass ,But they seem to be doing alot better, I have never had anybad dealing with them at all. That sounds like a good choice in lift I think yall will like the kick alot better and your son wont think of it as a "Girls Car" any more. Right close to you in OakRidge Tn is "Jims offroad" they do alot of Jeeps and other trail rigs so im sure they can help you out on the cage there.Or tryonlin with Davessportcage not sure what his web site is but im sure smeone will post the URL up for you, He seems to have some good cages,as far as bumpers and rocksliders Shrock off these borad builds some awesome stuff and looking on his web site he has stuff for the sidekicks in the works SHROCK WORKS Post some pictures up so we can watch the build up of yalls tracker project !!! GoodLuck and can't wait to see some before and then after pics as yall build the tracker.

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

Cj 7 , Cj 5 , older ford truck , some of the older dodge trucks, scouts , all have the same lug pattern 5 51/2 just make sure the center hole will fit over your hub before buying wheels there's alot of whels that have the right lug pattern but the center hole wont fit over the fron hubs.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 06:05 PM

In regards to RRO, I have delt with them quite often. Sometimes they deliver and other they make excuses. Tip, get the name of whoevew takes your order, then if they screw something up you have a place to start, or better yet talk to Glenn personally. As to the rims any Ford 5 on 5.5 with 3 to 3 3/4 backspacing will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode