stops dead - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2000, 03:31 AM
monty

stops dead

I posted a question a few months back about my 87 suki and is now really starting to anoy me . Mostly after aceleration ( ie half way through passing another car ) it just stops , like you turned the key off . Does not back fire , splutter etc just stops . you stop wait 5 seconds and turn it back on and its fine until it decides to do it again , around twice a week at the moment . Changed the fuel filter as I thought it may be blocked , wrong . People have said the coil packs up under heat but a) it starts straight away and b) it has done it to me twice now cold
How can I check the fuel pump . I have seen other posts about the tube out of the pump leaking oil and ending up on the gearbox . My box is covered in oil but I thought it just leaked until I went to fill it up , took out the full plug and got a face full of oil . So I just though some clown had over filled it . Will have a look at mine in a day or two when I see it in the day light .
What else can I check on my own . Any help would be great , starting to get anoying .
Cheers Monty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2000, 08:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: stops dead

you need to test things under the hood right away when it fails. right after it fails, pull the hood immediately, pull the air cleaner off, and move the throttle linkage. you should see and hear fuel squirting down the throat of the carb. if it does, it's not likely the fuel system. you should be able to pull a plug wire and place it near ground, with an insulated tool. while a friend cranks the engine you should see the wire sparking to ground. my guess is the fuel bowl is empty and you will find no fuel present in the carb when this happens. i hope my guess is right and you fix your problem monty! good luck.

oh, and if it is fuel, it may not necessarily be the pump. you said you changed out the filter, so it could be the carb. if the float is not set right you could be sucking the bowl dry when you floor it. just thinking......

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2000, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fuel pump pressure test can show a bad fuel pump.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2000, 11:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have an aftermarket ignition (like Jacobs) throw it in the trash and put your stock one back on. I had this happen with a few different Jacobs units I owned.

Other than ignition, it would have to be fuel delivery. Make sure the filter is clean and the pump is working fine.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2000, 01:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also replace fuel hoses. They cost nest to nothing but are often over looked. They can shed particals clogging float valve.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2000, 08:07 PM
WSB

Hey Monty,
I had the same thing happen to my 86 Zuk, you probably want to check the
Ignition Meter fuse contacts in the fuse box. They seem to spread apart over time
and let the fuse wobble around a little bit causing a bad connection. It drove me crazy
for weeks. Hope this helps.
Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode