Samurai ignition switch broke why?! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2000, 12:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Samurai ignition switch broke why?!

I was startign my samurai and smoek came from under teh steering column and i pulled out the ignition switch and iw was smokign and I/, just wonderign if you guys think I should go to a wreaker and get then part, or buy it new, or if you think somethign else may have gone wrong for that switch to have went out,

thanks for your input!

** -=ChuckwicK=- **
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2000, 09:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Samurai ignition switch broke why?!

Mine burned up too. I just went to AutoZone, bought a generic ignition switch for about 7 bucks, and wired it up. It worked fine, plus I got rid of the stock ignition switch, and that heavy locking mechanism.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2000, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It could just be old.

Having high amp devices connected to switched power from the ignition switch will fry it or a short in switched power. Putting a relay between the switch and the load can help if it is just a high load. Ford aerostar vans have a recall for that.

If it was the start side of the switch it could be in the starter solenoid or wiring to it. Example would be the wire is off of its connector on the solenoid and grounded.

If you get a used switch look for burned contacts in the same area of the switch before buying.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2000, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it's generally caused by bad connections/poor earth/dirty starter comm., since full battery voltage goes through the switch the increased resistance causes the switch temrinals and wires to heat up, sometimes the solder will actually melt, which is interesting if it drops on your foot.. not!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2000, 04:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Poor electrical connections

The extra resistance of poor connections in a circuit will not cause higher current flow thus burning up something but will actually reduce the overall amps used in the circuit. This is because it is increasing the circuit's resistance along a single path. What can happen is you can get local heat build up at the poor connection causing the circuit to burn open or a short due to heat breakdown of insulation.

The more power the circuit carries the more likely it is to burn up due to a poor connection. This type of thing was common with aluminum house wiring causing fires. The wire from the positive battery terminal to the starter relay is aluminum and carry high amps. They normally fail because of resistance buildup due to corrosion not over heating in the process.

Over all resistance can build up in the starter control circuit through the starter switch to the starter relay to the point that starter relay doesn't get enough current to operate. You normally don't burn up the starter switch or any connectors there because most people have enough sense not to leave it powered until something melts. The first thing to do is check the starter relay bypassing the normal switch and wiring with a remote switch. (Some newer cars have problems with this.) Then bypass the normal starter switch but not the normal wires. Continue with this until the problem is found.

I once had a problem with a loose terminal on the fuse block found by wiggling the wire. Nothing was overheated. Engines with computer controls often with fuel injection are super sensitive to poor connections with the most common problem area dirty corroded ground connections. When you see a car with one bright head light and one dim head light, the dim light will probably have a bad ground connection to the frame, without burned up wiring due to the poor ground.

While auto electrical circuits could burn out due to a poor connection they normally don't. They do get fried or the fuse opens because excess current caused by shorts. Shorts are most often thought as, to ground, but they can be internal in devises such as relay coils, ignition coils and others that have a internal brake down of resistance causing excess current flow. Yes it could be because of excess heat breaking down insulation due to a poor connection who can tell.

Things fail due to use, age, abuse and poor design.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode